Little use though I have for organized religion, I have to say that one of the elements I find the most loathsome; "behave or ELSE" is coming to my aid in spades these days. An astounding number of my current clients are contemplating suicide. Our little low cost clinic is being inundated with people who have lost their jobs their homes and their families. None of them have ever seen anything as scary as this floor vanishing in the economy, and they have no faith that things will improve in a time frame they can accept. Invoking their compassion about abandoning a loved one isn't helpful because they think their loved ones would be better off without them. Their faith in a wise and benevolent God who has some mysterious and worthwhile purpose in torturing them is a wash. Needless to say the whole compassionate God thing isn't holding up so well at the moment. But even those who consider themselves utterly nonreligious can't quite seem to shake the visions of eternal damnation instilled in childhood when grandma took them to church every Sunday. THAT is enough to keep them alive.
So now I understand the wisdom of an angry, vengeful God. Somebody, somewhere knew what he was doing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
They say that more people are attending church now. I hope it makes them feel better.
So many people are having such a difficult time now. It's a scary and discouraging time for a lot of people.
Donna
It is a scary time... and based on what I see coming in, it is particularly hard for the younger generations who have never had to be frugal. Our 'everything all the time' culture has resulted in many people who live with no savings and very heavy debt loads. Suddenly having the price of everything double and losing your income is a shock for anyone, but especially people with no coping skills at all for this situation.
I also see parents who are suddenly struggling to support themselves and their adult kids and little grand kids just when they thought they were finally going to be free to focus on themselves. Lots of anger and frustration there, along with grief over the loss of their new found lifestyles or the dream they had of making one. The number of stories that go, "We've drained our retirement accounts, our IRAs and our CDs and have nothing left for the future and no income today." Yikes!!!
Any resource whatever that helps weather a storm like this is welcome, welcome, welcome in my eyes.
Post a Comment