Well I broached the subject of ending my practicum early with the executive director of the agency today and she was fine with it. Will see my supervisor tomorrow and try the idea out on him. Really he's the main reason I'm agonizing. I met this prof when I took undergrad courses to see if I wanted to enter this field 6 years ago. He taught Family Therapy and that was my first introduction to the systems model. I was instantly taken with it and this prof was such a great model he became one of my mentors over time. He's always made a big deal about me being a star student and I feel like I'm letting him down a little doing this, but hey, it's just not my thing. Family therapy yes, systems perspective always, but not couples.
I've had just one strange case after another lately. Sex addicts, unexpected suicides, homeless people wanting couples counseling, and all sorts of other interesting and unusual stuff. And then there is just the endless stream of people having lost their homes, jobs and often families all in one fell swoop. Our low cost center is flooded right now with a waiting list all the way to Egypt. I feel so utterly helpless to do anything for these people. I know they need help finding their own resilience, but it's such heartbreaking work. =(
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I wouldn't even know what to say to the endless stream other than an acknowledgement of how much it sucks.
I can imagine it would be difficult to feel like your letting down your mentor. But, I think you've put enough time in to give the systems model a fair shot. I'd imagine that your mentor will be supportive.
Oops! Don't get me wrong, Systems is the underlying framework for all my therapy... it's just couples work I can't stand. =) I agree I've given that a fair shot though. By June it will have been 9 months and that's as long as many internships last anyway.
It's a huge relief to think that the two couples cases I just took, full of domestic violence, drug abuse and unemployment will be my last.
A systemic approach is definitely helpful. I do mostly individual work, but it still helps when looking at the impact of the family, etc.
Post a Comment