Finished this ghastly horrid paper I had hanging over my head. The prof screwed up and didn't get the assignment to us until two weeks before the term ended, then he changed the requirements again the week before. When we all complained that there was no way we could pull that off in the time allotted he opted not to reduce the workload, rather he declared that we could do it over break and it would be due the week before classes begin again. That would be next week so I aimed to have it complete by Sunday. Seems yesterday he discovered that grades are due tomorrow, so at 7pm last night he told us it was due the next day. 20-25 pages. Right. At the last moment, when 2/3 of the class appeared to be headed for incompletes, he did reduce it to 15-20 pages, which helped, but was still silly based on the vignette we were asked to cover. Pulled the first true all nighter I think I've done in this program... not until 2 or 3am, but until 6am this morning! Didn't know I still had that in me. Wow! Actually what I had in me was espresso, I wasn't really awake, I just had my eyes open. I had 7 pages going in, so I did the last 13 in little spurts of a few lines at a time... on and on and on. It's a forensics class, too, so I'm not as adept at navigating the search engines as I am in my own field.
There's what I get for taking actual breaks and doing this in dribs and drabs. HA! Lesson learned. 5 of us were not done so I'm feeling pleased he'll likely be up all night tonight grading just as we were writing.
If there's anything anyone would like to know about doing a child custody evaluation on an Egyptian couple involving domestic violence, child abuse, and alcoholism just let me know!
Now back to my dissertation lit review, which is something I actually enjoy. Is it just the way life is that nobody gets to work uninterrupted on their personal research, like EVER? I sure haven't run into anything like that yet...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Yay! I just finished an intake report last night too despite being drugged up with 4 different drugs now. It's such a nice feeling.
Sidenote...that prof was being a tool for submitting you to this unavoidable stress
Congrats on finishing what was a ridiculous assignment, especially for a graduate level class. Has this person taught the class previously?
Yes. One of the 5th years told me it was a complete waste of everyone's time last term, also. It's a new program though so we're only the second class through. The reading materials were wonderful, though more of a lit review than anything anyone could actually do in the allotted time. 7 studies and a two chapters one week, for example. On the up side, I read all of it during the week I wasn't writing and learned a bunch. Only I don't need to pay all that money to do a lit review...
Well, I think that prof was more than just a tool for doing what he did! What a jerk. Thankfully, you got the assignment done. I wonder what it is about those forensic profs? Mine was an idiot, too.
Donna
LOL! I agree with all of you about him. Thanks for the support. I'm SOOO glad that's over with! Just one more term to go and I know we'll have at least one more class like this. Had the prof before and he was a nightmare. It's the expert witness class, so it's gonna be a bear PLUS another couple of huge papers.
Now reading over my comment here, how many times can you use the word "though" in a two sentence stretch? Bet I have you beat!
Though it may be difficult, I believe I can use the word though more than twice in two sentances. I read your comment, and though it appears that you have used though several times, it is really only twice, though through does look like though on a quick reading. How's that? lol Great, I'm taking the WEPT today, I really hope this doesn't get stuck in my head!
BW... I'm laughing my ass off over here! And thank you because I needed that tonight, too.
What is the WEPT?
The WEPT is the Written English Proficiency Test. Required of all juniors in the State University system, because, apparently, there are a handful of majors that could potentially be awarded a degree and have never had to write a paper. Of course I can't imagine what majors those would be since everyone has to take GE classes regardless of major. :P
What the hell? Can the prof actually give anyone less than an A? He'd be wise not to.
Well...at least it's done. Congrats for that.
Post a Comment