So my school is having an "ethically themed" holiday party this Friday (the one I volunteered to help with) and I was struggling to come up with a dish to bring. I'm half Irish and half English and have no connection much to speak of with my heritage. Mom did make a nice Shepherd's pie, but 1) I can't do it as well as she does, and 2) I have to cook it today and serve it Friday, so that's not the best choice. My cohort is supposed to bring meat or veggie main courses, but the best I could do were some salami wrapped cream cheese sticks that don't look very Irish to me, but they were on an Irish cooking site. Easy, quick, contains meat and it's a lunch party anyway, so who wants to eat heavy dishes at noon?
But then.... we always have rum balls at Christmas in my family. Why not just use Irish whiskey, I thought? So I did, I made kick ass Irish whiskey balls rolled in more whiskey and dipped in a mixture of coconut and powdered sugar. Oh YUM! They absolutely rock! Unfortunately I didn't have the coconut when I made them Sunday, so I got that last night and coated them this morning. Had to try one to see how they were going to be, of course. There is nothing like a nice, potent whiskey ball at 10 am on a day when you have shitloads of mental work to do under tight deadlines. Hee!!!
Now I'm in a great mood, but I'm having some trouble concentrating on Maria, who is struggling painfully through my Cultural vignette. I'm supposed to assess her and provide a treatment plan as my final for that class. Shoot. Think she'd be all better if I just offered her a whiskey ball?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
lol I think we could all use a whiskey ball about this time of year!! Good luck with your finals!
My family always had bourbon balls at xmas...a couple years ago I tried making them with brandy. OMG!!! So good! Maybe that will be the one thing I "bake" this year...time limits with school make it so hard to do any real baking. Just might be able to fit that in though. :D
Post a Comment