Thursday, July 26, 2007

Going to Court

I am simply over the moon today because I got a note from the professor who has taught all my psychological assessment courses inviting me, and her other students, to come watch her testify in a sentencing hearing for a schizophrenic man tomorrow. It is all public record, and therefore she is willing to share her case notes in order for us to learn. Her reason for doing this is to enlighten people about how the mentally ill are treated in our legal system and what some in the field of psychology are trying to do about it. For me it is also an opportunity to see a Certified Neuropsychologist in action as an expert witness. W00T! This is exactly the sort of work I want to do, and the problem area in our criminal justice and mental health systems that I want to address with my work. It should be just an hour in the morning so I will still be able to see my Juvenile Hall clients in the afternoon. Double W00T!

In other, much less interesting news, I figured out at least the manual part of Endnote and decided I like it enough to go ahead and purchase it when my 30 day trial is up. Hey, I can be earning a whopping 5% interest on that $99 in the meantime, so why rush the thing?

Now I'm off to peruse the BBS site because I am still missing some forms for the MFT intern stuff I need for my practicum. The site and supervisor agreements are done and dated so I should be fine with all the hours I've done so far, but there is still more paperwork... I DESPISE bureaucracies!!!


6 comments:

JustMe said...

wow, sounds like a great opportunity. should be very interesting to see her testify.

Tery Lynne said...

Awesome! I took law for two years and I enjoyed it immensely.

I also love Mental Health, too.

Please let us know what happens (if you are aloud). I would love to hear the outcome:)

Enjoy the experience.

Mamabeek said...

Thank you. Justme I do think this will be interesting. Definitely going to take notes.

Daily dose... your combination of schooling should make you very employable! If I hadn't started down this path so late in life I'd do a JD as well, but then I want a neuropsych certificate and a psychopharm one and on and on. LOL! Some forensic programs have more criminal justice courses than this one, but I may pick some up on my own at some point.

What did you take?

Tery Lynne said...

I went to a Two-Year Technical College to become a Paralegal - I learned Legal Research and Writing, Family Law, Tort Law, Criminal Justice, Court Proceedings and so on.

My cousin was going to Law School to become a Lawyer and we were taking the same classes!!

I also took FIVE Psychology classes at the time..go figure!

The ONE class I found very interesting was "Organizational Behavior."

Anonymous said...

That sounds really interesting! Let us know how it goes!

Donna said...

What a cool experience for you! What was the guy's charge that he was being sentenced for (if you can say)?