Thursday, July 19, 2007

Blanklisted!

Oh 'eck! As you can see I was influenced by a few of my readers to do a little redecorating for the summer. Not sure that this particular look will stick, but it's fun to play. So I was trying to add some bling and went to Widgetbox where I found an adorable little clock to add. It came with two links, and one was a graphic I wanted to remove to the "credits" section of my sidebar to make the clock prettier and still give credit where credit was due. I think that was a no no as it stopped showing, and now, while the code shows normally for everything I download from there, nothing shows but the header. Oops! I left the little clock in (sans header so it's invisible) in hopes they'll notice my code is back to specs or my preset timeout is over or whatever. Hm... I suppose I could get out my old software from when I used to design webpages and make my own bling, but really I think my time could be better spent. So I'm both disgusted and chastised at once. Jeeze!

I did, at least, download Endnotes, toward the lit review, so I am at least angling in that direction. I spent a good part of the morning looking around for the lowest prices on the books my supervisor has recommended thus far during my practicum. Wow, the man has expensive ideas! Everything is textbook prices, and one is out in a new edition that would be much better to get, since it's a forensics text and the law portion has been updated to include this last decade, but needless to say the price is double and there's nothing used at all. Sigh. So nearly everything went on my order 'later' list and I still haven't finalized my actual order either. On the bright side, stuff that had been on hold for a long time has come down in price (possibly just for me since they noticed I wasn't buying? What's that called when they do custom marketing and pricing?) and one book that wasn't out has finally become available. Jeeoy!!!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Wow your blog looks really different.
I like the flowers on the top of it. :)

I hope you had fun at the concert! The pictures looked like it was fun even though it sounds like it was hot. Your cat and birds are cute too.

Sari

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah and I forgot to mention that it is way awesome that you took a picture of a deer from your bedroom window!!! That is waaaay different from where I live at. Haha!!

Mamabeek said...

Hey thanks for stopping by Sari! I've been watching your blog and it keeps saying Bass Lake at the top... must be time to go peek again. I hope you had a great break from everything up there.

Donna said...

I like the new look!

One place that I check for textbooks is Half.com...sometimes I can find decent (sort of!) prices for books. Another place is superbookdeals.com. There's always Amazon, too.

Mamabeek said...

Thanks Donna, I do check all those places as well, and I have a club card with Barns and Noble that helps a bunch online too, but none of them are making these books affordable, darn it!

I spent almost half what some of my classmates spent on books this past year though, so it sure is important to shop around. I absolutely despise the MBNS online book place. I go there, look up my classes, get all the info and then shop elsewhere for the books. Both my masters and doctoral schools used them as their book source since they're both satellite campuses. It amazes me that they stay in business at all!

Donna said...

Same here, my schools have used them, too, and I refuse to pay their prices!