Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Library Databases and Me

I have this theory about how Library Databases have become so complex and interconnected they have evolved into a single creature. They are one big body and they see me as a disease organism.

It's like this. At first I do a search for something and I find it, no sweat, but pretty soon that avenue stops working for me and I can't get any full text data anymore. So I fumble around for awhile and then BINGO, I mutate by finding a new direction for my search and for a day or two it's sweet; I get full text every time and life is good. But then the library system figures out what I'm doing and it creates antibodies to me and all at once I'm no longer seeing the full text PDF link, instead I get the onerous "Find it" button and there are no holdings in my university's libraries or anything on EJC.... time passes and I mutate again, and The Library quickly builds antibodies to me and around we go. If I get past the immune system too often The Library goes to the doctor and gets a shot of antibiotics and my passwords stop working. I swear to you, I can document the whole process...

Thank God for WeDeliver.

1 comment:

Battle Weary said...

It's true...I know I mutated several times this past semester while trying to conduct my research!