Sunday, May 17, 2009

UP!!!

Great results on my mid-quarter evaluations from my students this time. NOT ONE nastygram. Hooray! As a matter of fact, not even any negative feedback at all, so I look like the messiah on these evals. Hmm... I'd love to say it's all about me having improved so much, but I think some of it is simply a cohort effect. The last cohort hated testing and this one loves it. In the last one only 1 student in 9 wanted to go on to a doctoral (and that in depth psych) and in this one 7 of 11 want to go on in clinical or educational psych.

The down side to all this is that their homework is way higher quality and requires far more thought and time on my part. They write more and in much more depth. Loving the group though, and who doesn't like a nice pat (or 11) on the back from time to time?

Blood tests were all negative so that's good on the health front. Still haven't had the MRIs. Tried to price shop and found that was wasting alot of time because places don't want to give you a price unless you schedule an appt, so I had to go out far enough to cancel without a fee. They're not calling back with prices and they're not open on weekends so tomorrow I'm simply going to bite the bullet and set an appt with the first one on the list. I'll move client appts around if need be.

Lots of deep thoughts this week and great discussions at school with teachers and students. I thrive on that kind of stuff so I'm very happy. I have lots of work to do, but ideas on what to do for each assignment so that makes it easier to dig in. Still no ideas for an external expert for my dissertation though, which is the number one thing I wanted to accomplish this quarter. Ah well, still 4 weeks left to find one.

Oh... my masters class is pushed out another week so I have to go down to teach but my own program didn't go that route. Sucks to drive down for just 3 hours. Damn. And my grading has taken a whole day today so my income per hour is going down down down. Oh well...

2 comments:

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Only recently have I realized how much I value the opportunity to teach, and to also hear/read the feedback from my students. It sounds like you are doing a great job....keep it up!

Anonymous said...

If I had the choice, I'd teach more to that second cohort than the first - I'm so glad you've had a decent experience this time around!

And congrats on the new evaluations! They sound wonderful - and so much more accurate than the other ones.

Glad to hear your blood tests were negative, and good luck on the MRI. I hope you get the "all clear" soon.

Donna