Saturday, January 31, 2009

Normalcy

Wow, I forgot life could be this way. I mean like... normal. It's odd because I have as much to do as I did a year ago when I thought I was buried and yet it feels like utter freedom compared to the past few months! This isn't what Einstein meant when he talked about relativity, but it IS a good example of things being relative.

Not all the way normal though, I can't quite go there. I have a creepy case from my NON-forensic practicum in which an intake has come back to haunt me. The couple is very unhappy with the recommendations and referrals they were given and somehow got my cell number and are trying to circumvent the agency director by harassing me. There's a strong element of domestic violence in the case so I'm pretty freaked out. HOW did they get my number? If they went there will they find my house and come knocking on my door? Yikes! Wishing match day was long over and I was moved to one of the out of state sites I ranked.

Speaking of ranking, I did that this morning. After triple checking with AR that he won't leave me if I make him move to a town of 3200 people just east of Nowheresville, I went ahead and ranked that one first - the sex offender site - and the local one second. Honestly, the local one offers the poorest training of all those I ranked, but that's relative. All of them will give me amazing experiences, and not moving after 13 years in this house and 18 years in this part of the world would be ok with me. One site was ikky, so it's not on the list, and one is just flat disorganized but all the elements are there to learn, so I ranked it last and will just have to be exceptionally proactive and set clear boundaries if I end up there. Still haven't quite been able to bring myself to finalize the list though. I have until Wed.

7 comments:

Di Di said...

If you end up with a site far from home, will you move permanently, or will you try to rent the house for a year? And, are you considering any sites near my city?

Mamabeek said...

In your state, yes, but far from your city. It's my number one choice!

We don't own our house. A testament to the cost of living in this area. The place I'm ranking first is 120% less expensive to live and housing is 734% cheaper than here! Hard to even get my mind around those numbers.

As much as we love this spot where we are, we need to move on because we can't buy it (landlady thinks she can get 1 million dollars!). When I'm done with school and my loans are paid I want to have a few acres and a rustic little house, so we must find a place where that can happen.

I worry about my cats though, especially Entree. This place is all they've ever known and they'll be 9 years old this April! It seems cruel to move them, especially for just a year. But at least everywhere I'm ranking has potential for them to be in the country. I'm sure, if they had a clue what was in the works, they'd be with AR in hoping for the local site so we can deal with moving only when it's because we are buying something.

PG said...

Being contacted on your cell is creepy. Is there any recourse for this type of incident?

Good luck with your list! You know my track record with decision making, so I hope it goes smoothly for you.

Anonymous said...

Lovely. Just what you need is some creepy people bothering you :(

It will be interesting to see where you end up. Good luck on your ranking and I hope you get the perfect site!

Donna

Psych Post Doc said...

It is totally creepy that they contacted you directly. I hope you were able to put a stop to it.

Good luck with the rankings. What a nerver wracking process. I've moved my dogs a lot and they adapt really well (better than the humans on many levels). I think your cats would be fine.

I said...

I don't really get what your ranking is but I really understand creepy people contacting you. Freak shows. I hope you get to where you want to go without any hassles.

D

Mamabeek said...

D, we rank order the sites we are interested from our most favored to our least and then the sites rank us the same way. A computer then matches us so there are no job offers and choices. If you are matched you are automatically in a 1 year contract with that site, and they with you, so there's no backing out!