Thursday, January 08, 2009

A Week of Milestones

Well the first interview was last Monday and it went well. The interviewers were great, the program was excellent and there was a fascinating and extremely varied client population. So lots of learning opportunities! This was a "reception center" as well as a regular prison, so much of the work would be processing incoming convicts in order to determine where they should serve their time. The geographic location is bleak, cold and miserable. In summer it will be bleak hot and miserable. I have to determine what percentage of that was the prison and what was the geography and climate. I think today's interview, here locally, will help. My friend who worked as a guard at this local prison says it's physically the same layout as what I described to her, but our environment is lovely here, so I'll be able to parse out my feelings about the other place in comparison.

So that was milestone number one! They seemed to like me, I didn't struggle with the questions (some of my fellow interviewees were unsettled by them) and overall I felt it was a good, solid interview. Not stellar, but solid.

Milestone number two was my class last night. Went great! I have 9 students, with two being international, so they add some cultural spice as well as the challenge of understanding thick accents. Predictably, I had some AV adventures. Someone had torn apart the primary computer setup and there was another one on a cart that sat smack in the middle of the room where it blocked everyone's view and made it very hard for me to get comfortable. And then someone else with a radio mouse in another room was taking over my powerpoint so it raced forward and backward insanely. LOL! the students seemed to have fun and it's a very interactive group, so they made it easy for me to teach.

So all this leaves me in a lovely state of mind for my next interview! I was going to miss my first two classes and then drive down for the night class after the interview, but the prof from that class fortuitously had a family emergency and canceled class. W00T! I hope his emergency wasn't a tragedy or anything, but I'm very grateful not to have to drive down until tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the local interview! I'm glad your first one went well, but it would be difficult to live in an area that's not the best, especially compared to where you live now.

And congrats on surviving your first class - the Powerpoint problem was funny :)

Donna

PG said...

Congrulations on all of the good news. Too bad you can't transport the location to somewhere nicer. Good luck with the rest of your interviews.