Paper done! That's this week's down, now I have one for next week and one for the week after and school will be over for the quarter. W00T! This was my Rorschach paper, and I chose to do it on forensic applications. The topic was something I was particularly interested in, since my supervisor has talked about using it twice now, when he was otherwise stuck on a diagnosis. I way overdid on this paper, as I often do, because I wanted to learn the subject matter and there is nothing that irks me more than paying massive amounts of money and being asked to do superficial work. Sometimes that's ok, like just one class per term because I don't like to be overloaded, and heaven knows I whine when I get a whopper assigned, but in reality, the purpose of grad school is to learn the material to a depth that most people don't go. This is the antithesis of the quarter system, which by design sees to it that you will never have time to do more than glance at anything before a class is over. Hell, were it not for being able to do interlibrary loans chapter by chapter, so the PDFs come the next day, I wouldn't even be able to get all my resources in time to write anything! I stayed within her page length limit of 7 pages (not including cover, abstract and refs) but I did three PAGES of references rather than three references. LOL! I really don't see how much can be had from three articles on any topic. I will also stay within the 20 minute presentation time she asked, but I'm going to pack one hell of alot of info in there and provide handouts that people might actually learn from and refer to in the future if they need to reference this topic.
So over all I am quite pleased with my product; I think I did well considering how much I covered in such a small space, but I am now behind in everything else. Akk! Next week's paper will be a bitch because I have done almost nothing on it yet and I have a report for my practicum due Tuesday plus I have to work on Sunday. Oh, and some supervision Friday afternoon, so that cuts into my study time too. Once again, as soon as my schoolwork gets heavy my practicum requirements up the ante too. Sigh...
All the match buzz has me agitated about internships so I am having to sit on my hands to keep myself from spending all my study time searching for good sites. I'll download the APPIC application when school is done and spend my break working on my CV and essays.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
The quarter system goes way too fast when we have to write papers, doesn't it? But it sure is nice that a bad quarter ends more quickly than a bad semester :)
Amen to that, sister! LOL! Halfway through this week's paper now and it's going well. I happened to have four books that cover the topic in my library, so that covered the resource requirement, though I am interested in the particular challanges of counselling HIV serodiscordant couples. I.e. those couples where one tests positive and one negative for HIV. Seems like everything I find is medical and not mental health oriented. Sigh... I suppose I could just let it go, but I want to KNOW!
Must go check your blog and see how you're coming on your final project. OMG, Donna you are so CLOSE now!!!!
Post a Comment