Friday, February 22, 2008

Match Day!

Well for the cohort ahead of me it was a bittersweet day. Of those who interviewed only two matched, BUT, both got APA internships, which is an enormous boon for those of us still coming down the pike. It means that it's possible... not necessarily easy since our school is not yet APA acredited, but not out of the question. Plus many of those students only applied in California, and CA is the most competitive state in the country! Much as I appreciate the status quo, I intend to look a little further afield.

I'm making contingency plans in the event I don't match next year. There is, of course, clearninghouse and CAPPIC, but the big thing is, what if we don't get accredited the first time around? Even if I got an APPIC, APA match I'd be in trouble. Most likely they would simply get it the second time around (I have great confidence in the people running the program) and everyone would be grandfathered, but there are no guarentees.

I just learned that the Juvenile Hall in my county (I don't work at that one, I work in a county south of where I live) is hiring therapists and pays a little more than the one where I work. There is one part time and one full time position open right now, and one of the students the year ahead of me just took a part time job there. He will be moving on in a year, so if I am not in an internship, or my school has to try a second time at accredidation, I might apply for that. They want bilingual people, but what they want and what they can get may be two different things.

The whole match process is just bizarre. I cannot think of a more stressful system.My heart goes out to all of you out there who didn't match today. Everything crossed for you if you're moving into Clearinghouse on Monday!

2 comments:

Donna said...

That's really great that they both got APA internships...not easy to do, especially when from a school that doesn't have APA accreditation as of yet.

I really can't think of a more stressful thing than Match Day, no matter what profession a person is in!

Princess Pointful said...

I am a year or two away, and I am already pre-petrified!