Well the first week of the first term is over and I'm still reeling. Had to work today, but was hoping it would be slow and I could pre myself for doing my first Rorschach admin tomorrow. No soap, I was swamped all day with all sorts of interesting but DEMANDING work, so I didn't even limp in my front door until 9pm. Ouch. On the bright side, Entree was on the hood of my car peering at me through the windshield before I could get the engine shut off. Delightful welcome home gift!
My first admin of the ink blot will actually be to myself, which is what I wanted to do today. This is my last chance to take it before I will be 'corrupted' by knowing all the various answers and interpretations in the manual, so I'll write down what I see, circle where I see it, and then score it later when I have a clue how to do that. Then tomorrow I have a friend lined up to administer to in the afternoon. Me in the Am, her in the Pm, then another friend later in the week and two more next week. Whew! That's three more than required for the class, and we'll be doing an admin on someone we don't know (another student) for our midterm. I always try to get as many practice sessions in as I can, but in this case I want to test one of my clients at Juvenile Hall and the person is going to be leaving early next month, so I need to be proficient enough that my administration is solid by then. I want to do my project on using projective testing with forensic populations; specifically violent offenders.
Then there is the WMS admin that needs doing too. That will start after next week's classes and I'll try to do at least three or four of those outside the course requirements too. The results from those tests will determine what others we add to the battery. My supervisor has been wanting to start me doing neuropsych tests anyway, so hopefully I'll be able to work with real clients fairly soon if I can get myself up to speed quickly with friends and classmates.
Couples therapy rocks. One book is Gottman, of whom I am already a huge fan and have studied in depth, and the other is by our program director, who has done some great work on multicultural couples, among other topics in couples counseling. I think I'll do the project in this class on homosexual couples.
Practicum doesn't seem to have a specific theme this term, as it has in past terms, but I like the instructor thus far. Our cohort dysfunction showed its ugly head in that one, but you know, I just don't give a shit anymore. I was irritated right off the bat in my first class by two people, but made a resolution (seemed like the right time of year to do it) to be more positive this term, so I refused to let myself think about it and didn't discuss it with anyone and found my day was much brighter for it. Score 1 for not triangulating this week! Went out after class on Thursday (we don't finish until 9pm) and hug with the first years, one third year and a few of my own cohort. It was great fun, but even with only one drink the late hours and the smoke kicked my butt. Not sure I'll attend next week, but it's good to do from time to time. Good networking, too.
Readings are insane and probably impossible, but the material is so interesting I don't see how I can make myself skim it. Sigh... might as well just buy stock in my favorite coffee houses. Here's a sad factoid about me; my birthday gift card (Dec 9th) to one coffee place was used up when I tried to run it yesterday, and my Starbuck's card only has $14 left on it. The latter was a Christmas gift. Sob! gonna have to cut back somewhere else though, because I can't see surviving this term without chemical support.
Got my first paycheck from work and immediately decided I shouldn't have taken any deductions. Shoot, will have to go back and set that to 0 instead of 2. What WAS I thinking? I can always rob someone to pay my taxes...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Doesn't take long to get swamped, eh? Good luck with the ink blot. I'm interested to hear what you think of its effectiveness after more use.
Good idea re: cohort dysfunction. I find discussing difficult colleagues gives them and their annoyances more power. I try to stay blissfully ignorant about most conflict. Gossip is always tempting, but not helpful in the longrun.
Believe it or not, I felt a little wistful reading about your starting a new term. Then I slapped myself.
I agree, do not under any circumstances give up the yummy coffee habit. Refill the Starbucks card and consider it your Well Deserved Daily Treat. I did!
Ohhh, I love the Rorschach! It's just a fascinating test to give and interpret, regardless of all the controversy surrounding it. Save plenty of time...it's not a fast thing to figure out.
Good luck this semester :)
Hi! Thank you so much for commenting on my blog post about therapistmumbles.blogspot.com. It's so relieving to hear from more MINDFUL mumbling. Just so you know... your comment gave me the courage to ask on his/her blog if, anonymous or not, his/her clients know and give permission about him/her blogging about their problems. And I gave the address of my post asking what my eclectic, if not random, sample of readers thought about it.
On another note, I realize it must be difficult but I envy your ability to do all you do. You are doing exactly what I would want to be doing with my life if I could.
Thank you most of all for caring about the feeling behind my question enough to comment. I really appreciate it.
Wow the ink blot test sounds like so much fun. I wish I could be one of your friends and you could practice on me!
It sounds to me from this post and previous posts you have made that there is a lot of drama in your cohort. That sucks. I hate drama crap. In the MN program I am in people talked so much shit. I don't get why people have to be all weird. How do they have the times to freak out like that?
I am happy to hear that your kitty is feeling well enough to greet you when you come home.
Post a Comment