Sunday, January 27, 2008

Excrement Occurs

What a crazy few days! Thursday I drove through snow on my way to school. It was absolutely spectacular with all the green from the rain topped by bright white snow and steam rising up all around. At one point the snow was down on the road. I didn't realize how much I missed it until then... I got all choked up. Having grown up in Wyoming and gone to college in Colorado, years in California have deprived me of real weather cycles. I love snow, even with all the inconvenience, pain and danger it can bring.

Then on the way home Friday afternoon I opted not to take that road, as it was smothered in black clouds, and ended up stuck in stopped traffic for an hour and a half instead. Ouch! Tried to call home only to find the power was out and AR couldn't find the regular phone so I couldn't get through to him. The power was out in our canyon for just about 24 hours, so no water (We're on a well and the pump is electric), no heat and so on. Thankfully it wasn't too cold. When the power finally went back on, late on Saturday, I discovered my cell phone beeping. It doesn't get enough reception out here to use, but it does sometimes tell me I missed a call. Odd.

So the call turned out to be from much earlier in the day, asking where the hell I was because I was supposed to WORK on Saturday! Oh fuck... I thought it was Sunday and I didn't check on Friday as I usually do because my calender is on my 'puter, and no power. No phone to get the message... sigh. Well I got lots of homework done and now I have the whole weekend for studying. Silver lining I guess. I'm hoping it wasn't too huge a disaster. Gah.

The winds here are unreal. Both my heavy aviaries on the back porch blew onto the lawn, which is a first. But one of them was blown against a heavy wooden table first, and both table and cage were shoved 8 feet or so before the cage spun off on its own. Wow... even the strongest Santa Anas have never so much as budged those cages, let alone the table! (never fear, the birds are all safely inside the house) I hear it may get worse today. We have rivers of horizontal rain at the moment. Feels like a damned hurricane!

Seems AR is going to be subjected to both the Rorschach and the WMS (Wechsler Memory Scales) this afternoon because I have no intention of driving through this storm to the houses of my friends who agreed to be my subjects this weekend. I'll be lucky to get to practicum tomorrow... this wind, combined with all the mud, is bound to drag a whole battalion of trees down off the steep side of the canyon and make the road impassable. I'm amazed we haven't had more down thus far.

If I have to listen to this little green bird of mine tell me, "It's raining outside" one more time, I'll SCREAM! I can see that, Gus; thank you.

6 comments:

Medicoglia, RN said...

Hey...it's raining outside! Sorry, I just had too! My Aunt has an African grey that mimics the beep of the microwave...then yells "dinners ready!"...at any hour of the day, for no apparent reason. He also answers I'm coming" for the kids when my Aunt calls down the hall for them...this became a problem since sometimes the kids didn't actually hear her calling them!

The weather has been nasty up my way too...I'm guessing from things I've read here and at psychperson's blog that you are at about the halfway mark between psychperson and I. Maybe not quite halfway, you are a little closer to psychperson I think. That should give you an idea where I am! Anyway...it's pouring here now...it usually heads your way when its done pounding us. :P

Donna said...

Holy cow, had enough rain yet? I'm sure it's been nuts there. It's only been kind of nuts here - you guys always get it worse. I certainly don't miss the power outages. We used to get them in LO any time there was bad weather with more than a slight breeze :P

I miss the snow too! I'm not always fond of driving in it, but I sure do like to watch it fall and see it on the mountains. I really like the idea of having four separate seasons.

How did AR like getting tested? I only used the husband once and that was for the WAIS-III. My goodness, he whined and bitched because it took so long (which made it longer, of course!) and I can't imagine doing any more testing with him.

And good for Gus for stating the obvious lol

Polar Bear said...

Wow. Sounds like pretty heavy winds to me! We get really strong gusty winds over here too sometimes. Winds gusting to over 120km/hour - we've had house roofs blown off, trees being uprooted, etc.

I'm not a big fan of heavy wind storms. I'd rather put up with the rain.

Mamabeek said...

Phhhbbbbtttt! That's for Fallen Angels. LOL! Now he can say, "It's WINDY!" I asked him this morning what treat he wanted after he told me it was treat time. He's supposed to tell me nut, carrot, banana etc, but instead he just kept saying, "it's windy!" so I blew on him. =) He's not as brilliant as an African Grey but he makes pretty good use of his little walnut. Bet your aunt's bird announces dinner just to get people to come to him!

I am quite rained out, Donna, but the ground keeps soaking it up and amazingly our little creek stopped running as soon as the rain stopped coming down. We must have been REALLY dry! But it's green again and I just love that.

AR just took the Rorschach and he WAS having fun, until I imposed the inquiry phase on him. That just sucks all the fun right out of it, doesn't it? I did the WMS on a long suffering neighbor whilst borrowing his dryer (ran out of propane).

Holy cow P Bear, hold onto your knickers AND your roof!

Mamabeek said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I have been loving the rain..:)