Wednesday, January 23, 2008

An Intersting Interview!

Brain Fitness
I am particularly interested in neurological restructuring, so it was fun to read this interview when my sister sent it. As I've mentioned before, I got my mother a program that seems to be working well for her, taking into account the limitations her living situation imposes. I want to either do some research on this myself when I get out of school (not enough time to do it right as a dissertation at this point) or perhaps utilize what others are doing and put together a cognitive rehab/fitness component to my practice. Look at me, talking about a practice already... ha!

Mostly though it's just nice to look at something besides neuropsych test data, Rorschach data and reports, reports, REPORTS!!! I was on the verge of tears this morning because I am so overwhelmed with the amount of work I have to do and I am once again stuck in a joint project (nay, projectS, truly) with my fellow practicum mate who is utterly and hopelessly unreliable. Finally I just threw everything down (literally) and went for a walk in the rain. It might have helped more if I hadn't stopped to get the mail on the way back and found a lump of melted paper in my box instead, composed of both my neighbor's mail and my own. Apparently we were too bothered by the rain today to sort out unit A from unit B, and out of plastic bags to boot. Sigh.

Both my parents were in the hospital over the weekend... and different hospitals just to make it more interesting. They had a nasty intestinal virus and had to be on fluids and antibiotics for secondaries. This led to a crisis of ridiculous proportions thanks to them being so isolated(their kids are all in different states, as are all their friends) and because my father refuses to have any in-home care. Thus he came home and managed to pass out (as in faint) while trying to clean up the mess they had both made before going to the ERs. He will NOT hire professionals to do this, but instead pressured my sister mightily and laid on as much guilt as he could muster to get her to cancel all her business meetings, flights and so forth to come and wait on them (he knows better than to ask me, and his only other child cut off communication with him 10 years ago and is barely doing more than e-mailing greeting cards at this point). Thankfully she stood strong and now we are hoping he might possibly reconsider the wisdom of his choices. Probably not though, so doubtless we'll have another crisis in short order when someone contracts a nasty e-coli related problem. Double sigh.

And then there is the rain. 4 inches when I dumped the frog this morning and I haven't looked again. Been alternately pouring and sprinkling all day though, so probably there will be that much again by morning. I actually love the rain and I love that the hills are getting that SHOCKING green they do this time of year, but it's cold and dark and messy and combined with my pissy mood that's overriding the pleasure.

On the up side Entree has been at my feet and on my lap most of the day since it's too ikky to go out. Hot feet all four every day. Hooray! And I have a wonderful mate who checks on me every so often and makes sure to pet me and cuddle me and bring me nice hot drinks. =)

3 comments:

Donna said...

It's so hard when parents aren't doing well. I worry about my mother sometimes, too, but I try and remember that my sister lives down the street from her and that helps.

Had enough rain yet? We're supposed to get nailed again today and tonight and then another storm for Friday night into Saturday. We definitely need it, but wow, we're getting quite a bit. The hills sure do get pretty this time of year there, don't they?

I'm glad your kitty is doing well :)

Anonymous said...

Wow sorry about your parents - I hope everything turns out okay. I am really happy to hear Entree is doing good! :)

Polar Bear said...

Too much rain can indeed dampen the spirit. Hope it stops soon. I don't mind the rain either, but when it goes on and on, it can get a tad annoying.

Hope your parents are better now.

Great to hear Entree is doing well.