Wow, what a really EXCELLENT day I had yesterday! First off my very own report, modified only slightly by my supervisor, went to court yesterday. Usually I do the testing and write up the results and any behavioral observations and then he does the rest and incorporates my stuff into his report. This time it was the other way around; I did the testing, two client interviews and an interview with the parent and wrote all that up. Then he interviewed the parent and the client and gave me his stuff to incorporate into mine. We then collaborated on the diagnosis and treatment plan and wrote those parts together. He reviewed my work and changed almost nothing, and that's how it went to the judge. Hooray! It's still his name on the report, as he would have to testify if the judge requested it, though I could certainly be subpoenaed. That's fine by me, I'm not quite ready to actually testify in court, but I may do that at some point before this practicum is over. Anyway I was over the MOON about it!
Then yesterday was also orientation for the incoming PsyD class at my university, so I went with a few other volunteers in the existing classes, and presented to the newbies and did a Q&A session. We then offered ourselves as mentors for the new group, so that should be fun if any of them take us up on it! I am also now officially a member of our newborn student government, which is very much out of character for me and weird, but it will look good on a resume I suppose, and we need a student steering committee for accreditation. I find though that it is uplifting because it gives me a sense of having some control over my program and control in any area at all helps combat the powerlessness that feeds depression and anxiety. It's especially cool because this is a brand new program and those of us who step up to the plate will have a significant impact on how the final product looks, which is a pretty unique opportunity. I absolutely love how the faculty at my school treats the students like colleagues rather than elevating themselves above us as is the norm. Another rare and unique experience I am gaining at this university!
After the orientation some of us stayed and took the director of our program out to eat for her birthday, and that was just WAY cool! It was just two students and the rest faculty, but there was no distinction made in the conversation, and we all had a wonderful time.
So I'm all hyped up about my program and excited to get started again in three weeks for the next leg of the journey. I am SOOOO glad I did this!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad you're in a good program with faculty who treats you humanely! Lucky you!
And you're sounding better...good to see that :)
That is wonderful. It sounds like you are so very much into what you are doing. Good for you :)
Anything is good on our resume.
Loads of luck!
Post a Comment