Thursday, September 20, 2007

All the leaves are orange...

And the sky is blue. Ok, so I AM in California and it's not winter, it's fall. But wow, it really IS fall already, for real! I can't believe September is 2/3 gone and we have leaves changing color and berries popping out all over. After all that sweltering heat and such a weird mix of weather this summer I seem to be completely discombobulated about what season it's supposed to be. Now we seem to be back on track for fall with crisp clear mornings and mild daytime temps. AR has worked hard to get the lawn back from it's double crisping this summer and things are a little green from early morning fogs, so I'm feeling like I'm back on Planet Earth after all!

But with Fall comes school... just a couple of weeks away now. I have so much paperwork to sort out and summer tasks left undone and no TIME all of a sudden! Having to evacuate the house and then thinking they were going to paint and reroof made us opt not to do many of the backyard projects we meant to, so now that neither has happened I am a little miffed to be so behind. The heat and my depression are just as responsible though. So in the next two weeks I need to finish up the safety features on my cockatiels' cage so they can stay outside safely overnight when I am at school. Then Gus needs his whole cage framed in and a double layer of wire added to make him predator proof just in case something comes up on the porch during the day when AR is inside and can't hear. (Gus is of African heritage and not so hardy as the tiels, so he will never spend his nights outside - but he's also best buds with AR and he doesn't scream incessantly like the little crested lackwits). I want to replant all my pots on the porch with herbs and pretty things to replace what was killed by the fumigation debacle and I want to get all my school stuff archived in an ordered, accessible fashion. Hm... is that a realistic amount of stuff for two weeks?

Lately my casework has been amazingly interesting. Lots of dangerousness with my clients and/or with their families, so I've been fascinated with my work. We've done a great deal of interdepartmental/interagency coordinating on these cases, so that's a new experience for me, but I love being in the various meetings and hearing how everyone coordinates to try to solve these sticky problems. Have a report to wrap up today and six clients to see tomorrow. Humming right along...

STILL no word on whether I have a part time job on the weekends or not. Lot's of "oh yes, you're in!" comments from various sources, but nothing I can take to the bank. So much for packing in the hours with two practica and a job over the summer. The second practicum just now started taking people and the job looks as if it will start right about when school does... if that soon! Sigh... And no word on my financial aid, either. I did get something from Sallie Mae about privacy, so I'm guessing there is something to keep private? I expected an AWARD LETTER, but I guess that's reaching, eh? And the school was supposed to mail me a promisory note to sign which I have never received. It's past the date where I would have to pay $100 for being late, but they assured me they would mail it and assure me they did, so all I can do is wait and hope I won't have to fight about this later. I did manage to spend over $500 for books though, so I sure as hell hope my tuition is paid! At least this next week or two will be fun because every trip to the mailbox will be like Christmas morning; what might have come today?

Got a new for pleasure novel yesterday called Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood, so have been reading myself to sleep the past couple of nights with that. Saw the reference in one of the articles about Alex the parrot. There are references to him in the book, and it's got a sci fi theme, so I couldn't help but bite.

Gee... this was a here and there, this and that, not so riveting sort of post, wasn't it? Just got tired of looking at the same title on my blog and wanted to change things up...

4 comments:

Donna said...

Thank goodness the hot weather is over with for now!

I have two weeks left until Fall quarter starts...where does the time go? I had all these little things I wanted to do, just like you, and they won't be getting done. Oh well :)

I didn't know you were trying for a part-time job. Will you have enough time to do it? And will you be able to use your schooling in this job?

I hope you hear about your financial aid soon. Too bad they are dragging their feet on your notification. I know they certainly aren't the same way when it's time to pay it back!

Medicoglia, RN said...

As I pulled up your blog, a huge flock of geese flew over in their journey to warmer southern air...honking very loudly I might add. Very good timing!

I have been in school 5 weeks already...it seems so weird to hear of people not going back until Oct; I don't think I would do well with a quarter system...seems like not nearly enough time to learn something!

Mamabeek said...

This is so weird... I replied to this thread yesterday and even SAW my response, but now it's gone! Ok, whatever... maybe I've been working too hard.

So the part time job is doing therapy on the weekends at Juvenile Hall, Donna. It's likely to be one day a week or less and will replace my Friday counseling day so I won't work any more hours than I do now. (20 per week). I can't use those hours for the practicum, but I can get MFT licensure credit for them and make a (very) little bit of money. I don't know how it will be to try to study and do this too, but I'll give it a whirl. 2 1/2 days of work, 2 1/2 days of classes and if it's like last year, about 40-50 hours per week of study/research/homework. And THIS year I have to be working on my dissertation too. Yikes! If I have to drop the paid work I will, but after waiting this long to get the stinking job... well jeeze.

FA you're right. Quarters are WAY too short. Then again Semesters are WAY too long for my tastes. I like trimesters. My husband did those at one school he attended and the time frame and workload seemed just perfect!

Donna said...

I've now done quarters, trimesters, and semesters. I think I like the trimesters the best too!