This upcoming ordeal AR and I are facing is the PITS! We have to have our house fumigated for termites - no options, we rent. The bitch is that I have two cats, three birds and 11 fish, not to mention squillions of plants. Everything living has to be at least 50 feet away from the house, and the fishtank can't stay even fishless.
Then there's the fact that all the food except what is unopened in jars and cans must either be double bagged in a special plastic that the pest company provides or removed from the premesis. That means all my spices, everything in plastic or cardboard and so forth. Now add in toothpaste, shampoo, cosmetics and so on if they have been opened, all medications and on and on. GAH!!!
I have a background in ag chemicals, so it wasn't too hard for me to do some research on the chemistry they're using. Vikane can be absorbed into wool, rayon, feathers and some types of rubber and may be outgassed by the materials for up to 45 days, yet the pest company said there is no need to remove or bag my feather pillow (which I will have my FACE on!) or my down comforters. Fuck that, I'm taking them all out. Birds and fish will stay out for a week, no the three days they are telling us.
So my cats are going to live in a coyote proof duck pen at a friend's house, the cockatiels will be boarded, the Senegal will stay with friends and the fish... I dunno about the fish. Not one pet store will board them for me and they are telling me they're best off in the tank they're in. That means I must drain my 55 gallon tank down to about an inch of water over the gravel, put the fish and half the water in 5 gallon jugs and buckets, move the whole shebang to someone's house or garage, refill the tank with the saved water and pour the fish in, then do it all over again a week later. Egads!
This was originally scheduled for this coming week, my last week of school, but they graciously moved it out a week for me so I have next weekend to, essentially, move out of my house.
Way to start the summer, eh?
Pooh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Ugh, that is a terrible start to the summer. I have Small Animals (that's what I usually refer to them on my blog. Yes I'm a freak.) that are sensitive to fumes as well, so I would be very upset at having to move them out of the house - I wouldn't bring them back in for at least a week either.
It sure is a hassle to deal with fumigaters, isn't it? I hope you and all your little ones come out just fine, and that it's not too stressful for them (or for you).
Sounds like a mess. Hope everything turns out fine...
Post a Comment