Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Cheesed Off

Wow, I am SO grouchy this week it's just unreal! But now at least I have some good focal points for my cheesiness.

First off our internet connection has been irratic for two weeks now. We aren't able to connect unless we manually dial half the time and have to have something that is constantly pinging the server to stay online. It makes me INSANE, trying to order something and finding that between the time I enter my address and credit card info and hit send I've lost my connection. Did they get it? Will they double or triple charge my card if I try again? Akk! AR called Fixnet only to get a person who had no idea what ISDN was. Out here in this deep and narrow canyon we have no cable, no DSL and no broadand anything. Sattelite is a possibility but it's got lags that screw with AR's ability to remote control his client's computers, and since he works from home that's critical. So we have ISDN, which may be outmoded, but is far and away faster than dial up and allows us to do what we do. AR was not encouraged that this particular individual was even able to learn what he needed to, such was his aptitude, and anyway, he wasn't interested. So we limp along while paying over $100/month for our service. NOT acceptable!!! The thought of this going on indefinitely while I am trying to do my lit review is making my nerves jangle big time.

Then today I found that when I finally got on my default page had been hijacked to Mozilla's site. That means they did yet another stealth upgrade, without my permission, which is a really huge hot button for me, and usurped my Washinton Post default. Ok, I can live with that, but when I found that ALL MY BOOKMARKS were gone, I blew a gasket. Not only that, when I went to the site to see if there was somewhere to complain, I found I don't even have the newest version of Mozilla Firefox. What the hell? They blew out my bookmarks of three years for a dinosaur? FUCK THAT!!! I have to say that while I adored Mozilla when I first switched, their more recent versions of Thunderbird, the e-mail program, have royally sucked and when THAT program updates iteself (usually without my permission) it sometimes wipes my inbox. Every goddamned time that has happened there has been something critical in my box, so I finally had to make Hotmail my business e-mail, and don't even get me started on how much I dislike them. Looks like I'll be rethinking Opera, but perhaps I'll give the newest Mozilla a try first. I guess I need to chill my shit seeing as it IS free after all. ;p

I've got more... a dying fan on my laptop that whines incessantly (which is probably a major source of my edginess), a big old battle with DMV that I finally took to the mat today, there was a major heat wave while we were away and almost all my plants died (they had to be outside and off the porch thanks to the fumigation) and the fact that we STILL have people crawling all over our house banging and fuming (with paint, caulking, drywall paste, roofing goop etc) and making me feel like a bug under a microscope, not to mention worrying they're going to fume my birds to death while patting me on the head saying, "Don't worry dear, you're birds will be fine." Today I was told they needed access to do repairs inside but nobody would tell me WHAT repairs or in what room, just that my birds would be fine. Turned out it was caulking in the bathroom and drywall stuff and paint in the living room, both of which could potentially have killed my fids. Nice. I cancelled a lunch date with a friend whom I really want to see because she is so depressed, but as it turns out it was a good thing for my birds I did.

Sigh... ok, so that's enough bile for one post. Sorry to have inflicted it on whomever might come here. The weather is lovely, my fish are home and doing well and bit by bit my house is shaping up inside. We're deep cleaning every room; and that means every cupboard, drawer and the furthest corner of every closet, before we bring anything back in. We know there is a move in our future, though we're not sure how soon; depends on whether the landlord forces it (I know they need to sell this house but they really don't want to - I suspect all this work is about that) or if my education forces it, but either way we need to lose about 3/4 of our stuff, so this evacuation has been a good thing since it prompted us to face reality. Reality being WE ARE PIGS!!! Happy pigs wallowing in our own filth, mind you, but pigs nonetheless. ~Oink~

6 comments:

Medicoglia, RN said...

I find that people who don't own a particular pet don't know (or care) what things may effect them! I'm fortunate that our neighbor knows and cares about my pets. She checks on them and feeds them if I am gone more than a day. Once the exterminator came (apartment building) to spray around the outside of the building...neighbor came into my place and made sure all windows were closed up tightly and moved my hamster and fish to the middle of the room...and then closed the door to the room so my cats couldnt terrorize the little guys!

Di Di said...

I'm sorry that you're having computer problems - that can be so frustrating. One of my laptops had the dying fan problem for months. One of them stopped working, the other one was constantly whirring (loudly) and the computer would overheat every 30 minutes. The thing finally died.

And, automatic updates can be infuriating as well. That was my biggest peeve with Windows when I had a PC -- I would step away only to find that my computer had restarted and lost my work. One of my professors had it happen while he was running a bootstrap that took weeks. He just left his computer on the whole time, and at the very end, an automatic update destroyed it. For all that computers do for us, they have become a serious source of stress in our lives..

Mamabeek said...

That is so cool that your neighbor takes such good care of your pets, fallen angels, I have a pretty good one too, but she's not always available when I need her. I'll be taking care of her 9 dogs, one cat and one pig in a few weeks, so we trade off looking after each other's pets.

I'm with you di di, computer tech can add as much stress as it brings enhancement to our lives. It happens that my dissertation (should I manage to stick with this topic) is going to be about the positive effects of computers and electronic communication on committed relationships. Everyone is abuzz about how bad they are for us, but so few people seem to be focusing on how they improve our lives, and the reality is, they are here to stay, dying fans and all. LOL! AR fixed that today and told me that if he'd known how outrageously inaccessible they made the damned thing he'd have just ordered me a new computer. Dang, I missed my chance!

Di Di said...

What a cool topic - I was always frustrated with my old computer while it was deteriorating, but on the whole I love computers, especially for communication. I stay in close contact with my college and even my high school friends online. We all read each others blogs, livejournals, and facebook profiles, posting comments and sending e-mails almost every day. I've never had a long distance relationship, but the computer has definitely had a positive affect on my long distance friendships.

Di Di said...

The English major in me can't resist correcting my comment -- a positive *effect.*

Donna said...

I think I would be a bit grouchy, too! Fixnet used to be so good :( The darling daughter used to work for TheGrid/OneMain there but it was taken over by Earthlink, then they closed the call support center and she was out of a job. Earthlink isn't near as good. Incredible that you have service with Fixnet and the person doesn't even know what an ISDN is!

I use Firefox and Outlook instead of Mozilla. There's a setting you can do in order to not have the automatic updates where it will ask you if you want to do the update (under Tools). Then you can say no if you choose. I periodically backup my bookmarks file to a CD, just in case they disappear (which they haven't, thank goodness) or my laptop dies. I also hate the fact that when you update Firefox and Mozilla, they send you to their site as the homepage. If I wanted that, I would set it to that! Easily fixed, but I wish they wouldn't do that.

My laptop is iffy, too. I have a Dell and it runs hot. I have an air pad running under it all the time, but I get worried if the laptop revs up for too long. I have it on all day, and that probably doesn't help either. The next computer...I'll go back to a tower and then I don't have to worry about overheating.

And yes, the weather has been warm. It was starting to get warm there on the day we left. You could tell it would be a bit hot that day, since there was no wind at all in the usual places in town (like around Laguna Lake).

Sorry to hear you might have to move soon. Moving always sucks! But at the rate the market is going, I bet your landlord doesn't sell it quickly. Do you think you'll be staying in the same general area or moving more south toward school and work?