Saturday, June 09, 2007

FREEDOM!!!

Somehow or other I got through the week and it's OVER! No more school until early October. Yeah, I have a lit review to do for my dissertation and the research project I'm working on, but those have no imminent deadlines so I can work on those things as the spirit moves me and they aren't 'due' specifially anytime.

Those last two days were doozies though. My parther on the collaberative paper started writing her portion on Wed night after our 6-9 pm class. Ouch! The presentation went really well and the paper got in, albeit we had to drop it in the prof's box and e-mail a copy in case he won't go back to campus all summer because we forgot to merge our references. Sigh. Anyway, that's all in the past and I'm DONE, FREE, SUMMERTIME!!!!

Gus is trying to sing!


It's hysterical! He sounds a litlle like one of those door stops that's just a spring with a rubber tip; you know the kind we all spungggged when we were kids? "Bwang spwang twang" he says in his best kazoo tones. He used to do it just when we were dancing around and he was really cranked up, but AR is practicing his singing (among his many talents my other half is an excellent and creative musician) and often has Gus with him when he does. He's now started bwaninging whenever AR sings. The people doing the prep for the fumigation are here again today (just checking in, this is SATURDAY isn't it?) which involves much pounding and power tools so I have my music cranked up. We are currently listening to Queen's Bohemian Rhasody with Gus softly going :sing:twang bwang dwang :sing: in the background, completely out of tune and rythem with everything. He's such a goof!

And then there's George.

As if he didn't give us all enough of a scare when something (a stray cat we think) attacked the cockatiels in their aviary while I was at school and he ended up with puncture wounds in one wing. He had a really rough couple of weeks and I thought we might lose him at one point. Well his poor battered wings are all healed now and he had a set of half grown flight feathers (he lost all his flights in the attack) as of this morning. New feathers have a blood supply in the base so I had been avoiding clipping him until they were a little longer, but th e little bugger preempted me this morning. I took them out in a carrier but when I was transferring them into their aviary he scuttled over my shoulder and took OFF! Holy shit, he was going like he was fully flighted! Tiels are so light bodied they can fly on adrenaline alone, I swear. He did three laps around the house before coming down at my feet. Thankfully Chewie was safely in the aviary and worked as a tether to keep George close.


The hawks out here are thick though, so it was a terrifying few moments. Needless to say George is now thoroughly clipped though I'll have to do it again once or twice before his flights are all the way grown in. Sheesh.






2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Congratulations on being done!!
At least until October.. ;)

It is so nice to be able to be free. I am certainly happy that your partner got her portion of the paper taken care of in time. Sometimes having to do collaborative work can be stressful.

Your birds are so cute! :) Good luck with all the fumigation stuff. We had that done once and it was a pain in the ass.

Enjoy your summer my friend!!
see you around

Dragon

Donna said...

I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing summer (as much as you can with practicum!)