A few days ago on the PBS Farmers Almanac by Garrison Keillor, I heard that it was the birthday of the first woman to become an MD. He said that while she was finally accepted to a medical school after being turned down by many, there were some classes considered too 'delicate' for her to attend. Those on reproduction, for example. BAW HAW HAW!!! I can see her surrounded by a group of patronly, learned men and asking pointedly, "so which of you has menstruated? Gestated? Given birth? Lactated and nursed a baby? Had a yeast infection?" Sheesh.
Apparently though, women are not too delicate to be generally oppressed, raped, have their genitals mutilated or have acid thrown in their faces due to the emotional frailties of men. Yep, reading assignments on violence against women and feeling righteously stirred up. On the other hand, I am just as horrified by any sort of interpersonal violence including that perpetrated by women and by both sexes against nonhuman animals. There are so many ways in which we torture others, and we are so uniquely creative in that respect. Why must we be that way?
I'm finally getting really excited about my dissertation again, but I feel as if I am trying to work at a table piled with an endless assortment of crap. I want to just sweep all the clutter onto the floor and then chase it out to the dumpster. Why must everything in graduate school happen simultaneously?
I love the rain. I love the smells, the sound of it, the green, the hushed world and the unexpected bursts of sunlight through the clouds. I do NOT appreciate that my two parrots are going stir crazy and making it well nigh impossible to get any work done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Women being considered "delicate" just cracks me up...and not in a good way. I personally know at least 3 other women besides myself who would not even be alive today if we were actually "delicate"...due to some of the things you stated in your second paragraph. You know two of them, too...possibly have "run into" the 3rd at one of the other 2 blogs (or my blog). I'm not sure why I included that last part, but I do know that this post hit a nerve. Which nerve I'm not sure (more than one is highly likely), but I'm sure I'll figure that out. The first thing that comes to my mind is that those atrocities you mention are far too common.
Yes they are BW. I know some of what you and the others have suffered as well and the residual that you live with every day. I've endured my share too, though not nearly so extreme. Once in a while I put my carefully cultivated open mindedness and political correctness aside and indulge in a rage fest. It doesn't make me feel better, but at least it makes me feel connected to others of the same mind.
It's crazy that humans do this stuff, isn't it?
I love the rain, too, and I'm very glad to see it :)
Donna
I remember the first time I read about Candace Pert, the neuroscientist who discovered the opiate receptor, and being shocked the masochism in academia. I think I was only a mere 2nd year undergrad then. Surprisingly, it was a "macho" prof who recommended the book to me.
Hey...we sent an email to the addy on the "cntact me" link on your sidebar. Just wonderin if you got it.
OOps! Thanks BW, I don't check that addy very often. Good to give me a heads up to look if you send something... off I go! :)
Post a Comment