Saturday, December 06, 2008

Happy Problems

Wow... I was going to make today my last day with the domestic violence group but I was unwell this morning, so I'll wrap it up next week instead. I had thought about sitting in on the women's group because my classmate has also decided to stop going, and she's been sitting in on that group, so there will be an opening. Decided against it because I just have to cut back on commitments at this point.

So never mind sitting in, just a moment ago the woman who runs that group, a friend from my masters program, OFFERED ME HER JOB!!! She wants me to take over her group in February. I thought the group leaders were employees but it sounds like they are private contractors and the money actually goes directly to them, so that's $350 for two hours each weekend;$175 an hour. Damn!

I'm going to say no, but it's kind of nice to get offers like this. Sometimes I just need to know there is some real world advantage to having spent the past five years in school...

4 comments:

PG said...

Wow. $175 an hour. I'm in the wrong field.

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, money! Wow, that's a lot. How come you decided to say no? Time constraints?

Donna

Mamabeek said...

Yep, no time and it requires being there every Saturday week in and week out till death do us part, essentially. They are there on a 52 week mandated program, so they HAVE to come or they go back to jail. I need a flexible schedule right now and I'll be leaving the area in less than a year unless I luck out and get a spot at the one local place that hasn't turned me down yet. It's just not practical for me right now. Wouldn't be fair to the women.

Anonymous said...

Good point!

I hope you end up in a nice place :) How long have you been in the area you are now? It will be strange to leave if you have to, I bet.

Donna