Saturday, September 13, 2008

Milestones

I passed my comps!!! One more check on the list of peaks ascended. So I may now officially advance to candidacy. Somehow it's not as exciting a milestone as I might like. Maybe because it was a hurdle thrown up unexpectedly and not something I'd been planning for? Dunno, but it still pretty much leaves me flat.

5 comments:

Di Di said...

Congratulations on passing comps!!! I'm stressed out enough to know that it must feel amazing.

Psych Post Doc said...

Congratulations on passing comps. I know it was a thrown up road block but congratulations either way!!

Good luck navigating the social issues you're facing.

PG said...

Congratulations on passing! Another big thing to check off your list.

Not sure how much you like to rock the boat, but I'd encourage you to continuing disagreeing with this guy despite him taking it personally. Depending, of course, on his position/the consequences. It just annoys me when everyone has to tiptoe around the people who are unreasonable.

Mamabeek said...

Thank you all for the congratulations! I think if I weren't so damned sick I'd be more excited. =(

Psychgrad, I probably will challenge him over time if I decide to keep doing these groups for long. Being my first session and him having invited me to be there I figured it would be inappropriate to start questioning him right off the bat. I will make a point of bringing up some of the stuff though.

The guy is obviously very religious and in recovery with a long history in 12 step programs. I don't think he even realizes that his personal agenda is screaming out all over the place. He really reamed a couple of people for issues that were directly related to his moral beliefs, not their inappropriate behavior. "Did you hit your wife?" for example, is an appropriate question. "Why are you and your girlfriend not married?" is NOT an appropriate question.

And then there is the 12 step dogma on the basis of addiction, which is NOT based on scientific studies and does not belong in a court mandated group not advertised to be a 12 step program.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm glad you passed - I knew you would :)

It sounds like the facilitator is going to be a pain in the ass for you. His personal agenda really doesn't sound appropriate. Good luck.

Donna