Sunday, September 28, 2008

Back on the Chain Gang

Well school starts this week so today is my last day of relative freedom. Well actually Wednesday is, but this is a weekend ya know, so I feel I have the choice to work on academics or not. Not really the case, but I like to pretend. Today I'll finalize my application for a local internship with an early deadline and write a few more to boot. Need to tally this month's hours so that on Tuesday I need only add in the week and get them signed off. I hate loose ends!

In other news Juvenile Hall wants me to do some intensive therapy with a small group of kids for pay, so I'm thinking I may pick that up on Friday afternoons since I pass through that town on my way home from school. If I stay two hours after class every day and work on my dissertation, then spend 3 hours at the Hall I think I can do the one without cutting into the other. I never do anything constructive when I get home from school anyway. It's overloading, but I'll probably drop the male batterers group soon because I'm getting more and more sideways with the group leader. (yesterday he not only biased his presentation, but outright misinformed the group about ADHD, and I DID intervene this time)I'm learning lots but I think a few more weeks should suffice to say I've had a good grounding and I can join up again later if a different group becomes available. I'd love to do a whole year of this, but 8:30 Saturday morning for two hours SUCKS and 3 or 4 paid hours trumps 2 unpaid ones any day. I seriously think I'm doing more good for the kids in the hall since they won't get any therapy if I opt out, whereas these men will be there no matter who teaches the class.

Hot flashes are getting more frequent and I have added a joint problem and a chronic cough to my list of medical woes, so I have doctors' appointments week after next to address all that. I know my life has peaked out in the stress arena when I find myself thinking a medical leave for the year wouldn't be such a bad thing...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much good luck with the new semester!

I think, if I had to choose between the juveniles or the male batterers, I would pick the kids. The pay wouldn't hurt either.

I hear ya about the hot flashes! Bleh. I have some here and there - they seem to be happening in groups so far. Some days, nothing happens at all, which is fine by me.

Donna

PG said...

Still busy. You seem to have so much energy. I wish I could be as productive on a consistent basis.

The juvenile therapy sounds pretty interesting. Although - I would be careful about taking away from the time you would typically use to rest. It doesn't seem like you have a tonne of downtime.

Battle Weary said...

Hope your first day went well.

Mamabeek said...

Thank you all for your support! Yeah, Psychgrad, it is really too much and not enough time for me. One of my biggest foibles has always been biting off too much. This term is hands down the most stressful one of the program academically, or s o I'm told. But alot of that was about APPIC for last year's group, and I am in fairly good shape there compared to most of them last year (thanks to their advice!). I dunno, I may have to drop both the Hall work and the group, but I'll just play it by ear. Your warning is taken though.