Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Back on the Chain Gang

Wow... two long days in a row and my sup asked me to come in tomorrow as well. I am working to cover my therapy sup at Juvenile Hall on Thursday, so that would be four days running. I agreed to work from home on the neuropsych case we're embroiled in, but I refused to drive 40 miles south. Besides the price of gas ($4.76 for 87 octane today!) my comps are overdue as of today. They should be arriving any time and I really have no desire to try to peck at them for a hour in the evenings when I'm exhausted.

My other site has decided that despite my having worked there for a year in 2005/6, I must now present three letters of reference, transcripts, a updated CV and endure an interview with their clinical committee before they can consider me for a doctoral practicum. Akk! Ok the updated CV and transcripts I get, but what the hell... do they think I've regressed since I got my masters? They gave me a glowing review and thank you when I left and asked me to come back "any time" not to mention my supervisor there wrote a fantastic letter of recommendation helping me get into my doctoral program to begin with! Well whatever... it means that I will have more time for comps, and besides, it appears there is no lack of hours to be had at my current site!

All that aside, I still plan to take a week or so for myself at some point. AR and I are thinking of going up north to the giant redwoods later in the summer. My niece wants to come and stay with me for a week too, which is always fun. I really want to go see her new apartment at school, too. She's a sophomore now and I've never been to see her in her own digs.

Gus (see pic of green bird top left sidebar) has a tentative playdate with a female Senegal parrot, though I'm not sure he knows it. We ran into a lovely couple at the pet store (Gus always comes in and picks out his own toy) who mooned over what a wonderfully socialized bird he was and complained that their young female was most definitely NOT! The wife wanted to give me the bird, but the husband, whose bird it was, did not seem so keen on the idea. I was more on his side of the discussion, so we simply agreed it would be fun for them to meet and see what happened. Gus needs his wings and toenails clipped, so when we're out doing that we'll stop in and say hi. They live very close to our vet.

I see from their online statuses other classmates are working on their dissertations. Sigh. I'll get there, honest I will. I just can't do so much all at once though, not without a substantial break in there somewhere. So this week is work and a once over on comps, and next week I'll get started on an application essay. I think one reference per day on my lit review is a modest start I can make next week too.

Hooray for next week... it isn't HERE yet!!!

2 comments:

Di Di said...

It's so cute that your bird has a playdate! Also, you can watch Weeds online here:
http://www.surfthechannel.com/show/television/Weeds.html
There are a lot of alternate links for the new episodes... of course it's better on a bigger screen, but that's how I'm going to watch it after I leave my parents' house.

Mamabeek said...

I wish I could watch TV online, but being rural has it's disadvantages... our connection speed is too slow to watch streaming video.

S'ok, I'm not sure if I'm all the way caught up yet on the past episodes anyway. I only see real TV on my overnight to school in another city or at friends' houses. And of course while in grad school I never go to friends' houses...