Sunday, May 18, 2008

Another Scorcher

Summer has arrived... for a few days anyway. This super hot, super cold, super hot, super windy thing is KILLING me! WTF? Somebody hide the celestial remote so whoever is flipping weather channels will stop already!

I took all my recent whiny posts down in hopes I'll get past all this stuff better. Yesterday I alternated between feeling drugged (allergy meds + heat = zombie) and feeling desperately depressed. It's hot, I have a shitload of work to do, and I can't make my mind hold still to get it done. So today, in hopes of getting off to a better start, I got up super early and started watering the lawn. Now I'm doing laundry and I'm going to clean the fishtank. I thought perhaps getting a bunch of housework accomplished might get my mood to where it needs to be to do brain work.

I have to write a longish paper for social psych using a film or a novel to illustrate one of the areas we've covered. Been having a terrible time choosing one, but I think I'll go rent Gone With the Wind today and see about using it to exemplify all the different kinds of 'love.' It's my belief that the word love is utterly useless in terms of actually defining anything meaningful. It's great for lay use, but when you start trying to understand human behavior the word falls flat. There's attachment that we develop for caregivers and others; infatuation during new romances; deep and abiding trust; long term companionship; respect; reverence; worship; patriotism; devotion to principles; empathy for conspecifics; empathy for other species; loyalty; social expectancy; dependency and on and on ad nauseum. How on earth does one word, love, even begin to capture that? I think nearly all of those themes are covered somewhere in the movie, so I'll just make a list of my terms and then take notes of examples under each one. I have three more weeks to do the paper, so this should give me a good start and not overreach my mental capacity today. I started with the idea of using the novel,Parable of the Sower, by Octavia Butler, and then I was going to use Fiddler on the Roof for the same theme, but neither is as comprehensive, so I'm going for the overused classic because I'm too lazy to find something else.

There! Just writing that gave me a nice, simple task to do, and it's a pleasant one, too! Add to that collecting 5 more articles for my lit review and I think I have a doable list.

Lalalalala! Off to have a productive Sunday. I wish you all the same (or a fun one if you're not doing school stuff)

7 comments:

Psych Post Doc said...

Sounds like an amazingly productive day, I hope you got it all done.

Your so right about the word "Love", I taught an emotion class last summer and had one lecture on love and the main point of the lecture was ... what the hell is love anyway? :)

Hope the allergies ease up for both of us!!

Mamabeek said...

LOL! Would have loved to hear the lecture... pardon the pun. ;p

Worked on another assignment instead because I decided not to make an extra trip to town, since I'm going tomorrow anyway.

Did work out though, and got prepped for an upcoming final.

Kachoo! =|

Mamabeek said...

Oh, and got 7 articles for the lit review and cleaned the fish tank. LAAAA!

Besides, if I avoid going to town I won't get ice cream and negate my workout. I am now a tired pig, but hopefully a slightly smaller one.

Di Di said...

Love does have too many meanings... Several times I have said "I love him / her!" about a friend, acquaintance, or someone I don't even know personally, only to have to explain that no I am not in love with that person.

Sounds like you had a productive day!

Battle Weary said...

Temps cooled off big time here yesterday, 103 on Saturday, 74 yesterday...marine layer does wonders! Hope the same thing happens where you are.

Anonymous said...

It was way too hot this weekend!

Good luck on your papers and finals :)

Donna

Mamabeek said...

Yeah, BattleW it did cool down today and now I hear we're due for some chilly weather instead. Like I said, the celestial clicker is getting hammered... just pick a season already, PLEASE!!!

Got the movie on my way home tonight, but am giving a bunch of neuro tests tomorrow, so instead of watching it I am going to make my husband take the color word interference test (Stroop) off the DKEFS. It doesn't seem that hard,but if the person self corrects and you don't realize it, you end up with all wrong answers down the line. Gah! Have had that happen in nearly every practice session, so am going to try recording it tonight and see how that works. I need to give him the Rey Complex Figure too, just to be sure I have my pencil switching down.

Really I just want to pass out, but I know I'll feel better if I practice this one last time before testing.

I LOVE you didi... but I'm not in love with you, ok? ;p It's a dicey word to use in public, isn't it? I love pizza too, and that's something everyone gets. =)