Monday, October 29, 2007

Kaleidescope

I'm tired, I'm not totally well and I have squillions of things yet to do this day, but damn... my profession is EXCITING!!! Lessee... last week I had a Prop 21 pull a Tarasoff on me, then I found myself counseling a sexual predator in the middle of what I thought was a very different sort of case, and one of my favorite group home girls from my masters practicum is back in the Hall and pregnant. Akkk!

Then there was the testing side of things. Last week I had to stop a session because the client was on the verge of seizuring.

Today I walked into the clinic and saw a seriously sinister figure in the waiting room. Brooding, hooded and with a very ominous glare. Just my luck it turned out to be my case for the morning and the background involved lots of explosive violence and other scary stuff. Hoo boy... as it turned out, upon learning there psych testing involved the would be client refused, leapt up dramatically and directed a stream of profanity at my supervisor before stomping out. Oh my!

I have two more colorful cases on my plate as of today and my usual Prop 21 group tomorrow. Phew!

My icouldbe.org kids who I mentor are going gangbusters this year and I have showers of e-mails telling me they're talking to me and doing their activities all week. They've expanded the program to include junior high and middle schoolers so I have several 7th graders, which is new and interesting! A couple want to be doctors, one wants to be a vet and everyone wants to do some sort of psychology in the mix. Kewl!

Doing papers on the H'mong and Mien cultures and one on mirror neurons, along with a case study, all of which is totally fascinating. So all in all everything is brilliant except for stats, and my head is still above water, which is ok.

Sometimes when I get this much interesting stuff on my plate I start to feel a little manic; like a fountain of doctoral passion (ooo la la). LOL! I know I'll have to crash out of sheer exhaustion, but it's good to be high on your chosen profession sometimes, you know? Not real mania though, because even though it's hard to get to sleep with all the thoughts whirling around in my head, I still NEED to sleep and the lack thereof is keeping me permanently on the verge of illness. Have had to force myself to really organize my days in order to keep from dragging out my studying into the wee hours and then being in a fog the next day. Trying not to abuse caffeine either, so sleep and good diet and vitamins are being added to my list of meta-mothering.

Good God... is it really only Monday?

6 comments:

Di Di said...

The kids that you mentor sound great -- while you're seeing all of the horrible stuff that happens to people once they get into trouble, it must be ten times more rewarding to help kids stay out of trouble.

Donna said...

Wow, what interesting clients you're getting...how cool is that!

~T~ said...

Whoa - you got me at the Tarasoff comment! I'm incredibly intrigued...

Mamabeek said...

Tam would you believe that this is my SECOND Tarasoff since I got into this field? My practicum teacher asked how many people in our cohort (8 of us) had dealt with a Tarasoff and there were four hands raised. He had just come from a Law and Ethics seminar and in a room of 80 professionals only 3 had had this experience. I think the difference is that graduate students work exclusively in agencies where the mental health needs are the highest. My guess is that the majority of the seminar people were in private practice, and thus the difference. Strong recommendation for the latter, methinks.

Mamabeek said...

Oh! and di di, yes, the mentee's are a great change from my little delinquents, though actually they all come from the same, at risk populations. Hmm... is there a study in why some are excelling and others are in Juvie? Some educational psychologists did an icouldbe study last year and found that mentees who made a solid connection with their mentors had a significant increase in self efficacy after a year in the program. Makes me do the happy dance!

Yep, Donna I love my work. And whoda thunk it in this particular population? =)

Anonymous said...

You are all over the place it sounds like!! It is fun when you are involved in such a variety of things like that. I bet it is nice to be able to do mentee instead of the already in trouble kids all the time.
It is so cool that you landed right into something that you enjoy this much. Happy :0)