Sunday, November 04, 2007

Wanna Count With Me?

How many ways do we hate statistics? Do I hear lots of shouts? LOL! Ok, I know there are a bunch of sickos out there who live for it (very lovable, respectable sickos I have no doubt...) but to those of you who resonate with this post, shout ONE, TWO, THREE, FOUR... and on to infinity.

Sigh. Did my take home midterm for Data Analysis today. I do mean today, too, the whole damned thing from dawn to dusk! I am now done with 19 out of 20 questions and will come back to #17 on Wednesday and hopefully it will be clearer to me then.

Just figures it's the one homework assignment that I was lost on and didn't get a chance to clear up at school this week. THAT would be because we got pulled out of class to celebrate an anniversary for the founding of our university and the installation of a new president. There were seminars to attend, which were delightful, but c'mon people, we already have way too much info to cover in 10 weeks, don't take most of two classes away from us! It was the politically correct thing to do to be there, so I don't consider having had a meaningful choice. I did get a bunch out of it too, I just would have preferred to have my class and seminar too, thanks.

Now on to the gazillion other assignments that have been backing up all day. Thought I'd be done by noon and have written a case study by now. Boogers! Oh well, it's just business as usual I suppose.

Enough grousing. Time to get on that case formulation. Joy...

9 comments:

Di Di said...

I am one of the sickos who likes statistics (although I wouldn't go so far as to say that I live for it..) but it makes more sense for me to like it, since I'm mainly studying to do quantitative research. But I can see how it would be annoying (and time consuming) if it's not your main focus. And sometimes it can take *forever* to finish an assignment when the material is hard.

I can't believe you had to leave class for a ceremony! At my department it feels like we're barely part of the university. We just do our own little thing in our building, and we could care less about the university except when it impacts us. I don't know who the president is, and I doubt I will find out before i graduate.

Medicoglia, RN said...

Uhg! I am taking statistics next semester! I am so NOT looking forward to that class. I will try to find a silver lining in the impending black cloud... uhm... it's elementary statistics at the undergrad level? :P That's all I can find.

Donna said...

I don't mind stats, unless my brain is too tired and can't make sense of it. It takes me forever to figure things out, but I seem to be able to do it.

That's stupid that you all had to take time from classes in order to do a P.C. school thing. Like you had time for that! Geez...

PG said...

I have a love-hate relationship with stats. I love them when I find significance and things go smoothly.

I don't think students should be burdened with attending these ceremonies. Particularly if it's not educational/informative.

Anonymous said...

I hate math generally but stats i understand a little better then other sorts of math. I like the bell curve and the mean, median, and mode. The ceiling effect and the floor effect really turns me on. :P But seriously anything that takes longer than half an hour to figure out is way to much time. I hate doing stats just to do them especailly when there is such a thing as SPSS.

PG said...

I have a question about qualitative analyses on my blog and would be very interested in your opinion.

Tery Lynne said...

What is exactly stats? Is it math? OMG...if it is..I am doomed.

I have to take stats next year and I am nervous because I hear so many horrible things about it.

Donna said...

Haven't heard from you lately. Are we having fun yet? ;)

Mamabeek said...

Thanks for checking up on me Donna. Been a hellish week, but it's OVER now and I have a week off. Whew! Think I'm coming down with something though, so I'm going to bed and will save posting an update for tomorrow.

Hope you're ok too!