I recently purchased this program for my mom and will be taking it down to her at my sister's this week.
Posit Science Program
I'd read quite a few studies on similar sorts of noncomputerized treatments on Alzheimer's and other dementia sufferers that looked extremely promising, so when I saw a presentation on this program at the American Psychological Association conference this past August I decided to get it for Mom. Unfortunately it has gotten a shitload of press since then, teamed up with a few insurance companies and TRIPLED in price!!! Should have bought it then. Oh well, if it works in even a small way it's well worth the price.
Mom is far too sedentary, not socializing at all, and very depressed, so I'm not sure how much good it will do her. Our brains shrink as we age, and physical exercise is critical in maintaining brain mass. If you snooze, you literally lose your mind. She doesn't have Alzheimer's, but rather had a stroke 10 years ago and also problems with Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. Without the cortical mass to work with I'm not sure this can help her, but it can't hurt her either...
Of course she'll have to actually use it, which involves my dad not fucking with the thing and breaking it, or putting it on a computer that crashes etc. We're going to give her an old laptop solely dedicated to this. AR wants to lock Dad out, but I'm not sure that's good politics. Now I just have to manage to present it and walk away, since there is no way for me to be further involved. No getting upset if she doesn't use it or if Dad proceeds to slam it as bullshit and prevents her from using it. I may have to go back into therapy for that last...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
hmm not to be rude but your dad sounds like a jerk.
That is a really interesting study. I hope that your mother tries it and it works for her. I wonder if they would consider doing that study with just regular adults.. I could definitely use a memory muscle stimulant.
There is this game called BrainAge
http://brainage.com/launch/index.jsp
It is like this game that works our brain out but its console based. It is actually pretty fun. Glad you have more time to post. The semester is almost over!! Yay!! Have a good thanksgiving!
No offense taken... he's just narcissistic with a healthy dose of borderline traits thrown in. A joy to know. LOL! He has many good points though, and I often feel guilty that I only focus on the negative ones.
The holiday went well and we all had fun! Hope yours (and everyone else's) was good too.
Two more weeks of school for me. W00T!
Off to try BrainAge... I mean I wouldn't want to get back to studying too soon, would I? =)
Glad to be a wealth of information!! ;) lol
My holiday was fun too. I was a little disappointed because there was no snow so I couldn't snowboard but the turkey sandwiches were super good.
2 weeks?! Where did the time go?? WOOT is right! I can't wait until I have two weeks!! YAY!!
So far so good... Dad sent me a digital picture of Mom doing her brain homework. LOL! He's supportive thus far and hasn't messed with the system we set up. My sister put all kinds of pretty little stickers on the computer and bought her a nice mouse and really cute little mouse pad to go with it.
But then today my supervisor gave me a lecture about cognitive exercises not being terribly effective for dementia and emphasized how important socialization and meaningful activities are in these cases. Sigh... I KNOW that, but I don't have any control over her circumstances, so I did what I could reasonably do and left it at that.
He doesn't know the details, and I know perfectly well this is a long shot, but it still got under my skin. >{
Post a Comment