Friday, October 05, 2007

Back to School!

Just back from my first week of classes. Two new profs and both look to be

Thank you for the encouraging and interesting comments to my post below about working with Prop 21 kids. I'll answer them here, since I have more to say than I want to stick in a comment thread.

I talked a little about this topic in a couple of classes. In a multicultural class we were asked if there was any population we thought we could not or did not want to work with. A couple of people said they didn't want to work with perpetrators of crimes, but rather with victims. I had the chance to say to the group in a later class that what makes me able to work with this group is that they are both!

At a Restorative Justice conference a few weeks ago I got a chance to see a presentation by an ex gang member, Reverend Tony Ortiz. He made the comment that "Hurt people hurt people." So very true...

During the breaks in our Biopsychology class I was part of a fascinating debate about whether psychopaths are born or made. Regardless of how it happens, my question is, when and how can you be reasonably sure that's what you're dealing with and what can be done with/for them once they're set on that path? Based on Robert Hare's research, psychopaths treated with regular, insight oriented talk therapy are much more likely to reoffend than those who get no therapy at all. Those who are given straight behavioral therapy are less likely to reoffend. So if this study is representative of all psychopaths, then doing insight oriented therapy (and restorative justice is very heavy on insight) actually DOES HARM!!! Thus screening is critical.

9 comments:

Donna said...

I was wondering, too, if that professor has had something happen that caused such a radical change in his grading behavior. That's just odd that things would change so much. How awful for the student that failed after doing so well. I'm sure that's a real shock and could be very hard to bounce back from. I'm glad to hear that the administration is taking a look at this. Something's up.

Mamabeek said...

Yes, I have to agree. The student who was failed is the same one who was not going to come back this term... and this was the reason.

Di Di said...

Wow something is definitely going on with that professor... it's really wrong to give no negative feedback and then FLUNKING someone. Especially in grad school where the classes are smaller and there is supposed to be a lot of communication between grad students and faculty about how they're doing, what they should be doing. I'm glad that this term you have great professors.

PG said...

Interesting - why would psychopaths who have received insight oriented talk therapy be more likely to offend than those who had not received therapy at all?

Mamabeek said...

Oh dear... Psychgrad you went and asked a question about one of my FAVORITE topics!!! Apologies if this is waaaay more than you cared to read...

As I understand the theory, this is because psychopaths do not have much if any empathy and have to learn the rules of normal social behavior the way you and I would study a driver's manual; it's just a set of rules, not something innate. When you and I see another person (or any animal) suffering we actually feel some of what they are feeling, but psychopaths seem to be lacking in that ability. They also seem to have a very narrow or very shallow range of emotions themselves, thus they don't really understand how others feel because they don't have an equivalent experience. Since they tend to be very narcissistic, they are inclined to manipulate others for their own benefit. Because they don't relate to the pain and suffering they cause others, they feel no guilt or shame about inflicting it. When they go through insight oriented therapy they learn more about how the rest of us tick, and thus become better at manipulating us for their own gain.

It is recommended that straight behavioral therapy be used if psychopathy is suspected. Some studies have shown that there is a reduction in recidivism with this method. Basically, if you can convince them that a behavior is not to their own advantage they are less likely to engage in it. It can also be helpful to show them socially acceptable and productive ways to achieve their self focused goals that will provide enough of whatever it is they seek (money, recognition, power, physiological or emotional stimulation etc.) to act as a reinforcer for them.

It's a hard lesson for many of us in this field because we are generally at the other end of the empathetic spectrum. Without working with this group it's hard to understand how absolutely without conscience they really can be. Sometimes it even takes being personally victimized to finally grasp it.

Here is an article discussing the topic if you're interested in reading more.
http://www.camh.net/Publications/Cross_Currents/Spring_2006/harris_psychopath_crcuspring06.html

And here is a different perspective on the nature of psychopathy that is worth considering:
http://www.physorg.com/news70728146.html

I don't have time tonight to scare up some of the other research articles and theoretical discussion on this topic I've stumbled upon in the past, but will be studying this in depth over the next few months, so would be happy to share the links if anyone is interested.

PG said...

Very interesting. In relation to narcissism, I was thinking it may also have something to do with the benefit of the attention received in therapy. Although this would also be true for behavioural therapy, the focus on the personal drawbacks of the behaviours that warranted therapy may cancel out the benefit of the attention received in therapy.

But what you said about understanding how to better manipulate people is very interesting....and scary.

I don't think the links work.

Mamabeek said...

Oh whoops! I didn't link, must c&p into your browser. Sorry about that.

For an example of the chilling abilities of a socially well educated psychopath, think of Ted Bundy. The man studied Psychology in college and was good enough to sit next to Ann Rule at a suicide hot line and take call after call without ever raising any suspicion that he wasn't just the most warm, wonderful, caring person in the world. She speculated in her book, The Stranger Beside Me, that he may have helped as many people as he killed during that period. They used to sit there and pass the time discussing who this twisted serial killer on the loose might be...

PG said...

I tried C&P - just brings me to a place in the sites linked but it says that the page cannot be found.

Mamabeek said...

Grr... I see that the first one got clipped, but the second one should work. My tags aren't working properly in here, so I'll go post the two links in a new blog entry. Wow, all this education and I can't make a silly link work. Boo!!! Hisss!!!