Friday, March 09, 2007

What the heck did I DO???

My Karma is really fucking bad. Ok, it could be worse, I admit, but still and all, this is the pits! Got myself to school on Thursday and got my Concept paper turned in. Managed to stay awake through the rest of the class and then tweaked my Ethics Policies and Procedures Manual on the dinner break and got that turned in. He gave this test though... first he'd said there would be a little quiz at the end of the class that if we couldn't get them all right it was very bad news; total no brainer basics. Then later he said no quiz or test at all. Then last week he said it would be a short, simple, one hour test and would be open books, notes and computer (with internet). I put all my stuff in order and showed up. HOLY SHIT!!! It took nearly three hours and while it would have been a great take home test and was fair as a doctoral level event, he gave us NO warning to prepare for anything like that! Plus, this university doesn't GIVE tests; essays, projects, presentations and so on, but not traditional exams. It's the first time this guy has taught there and I guess he didn't get the news.

So I left the school exhausted and stunned. As always I gave one of my classmates a ride to her hotel and on the way there managed to blow right through a red light and get my car hit. SHIT! Everyone was ok and it turned out that we just scraped bumpers, though it felt like I'd been broadsided. The poor girl who hit me was very young and was sobbing that her father was going to kill her. She kept apologizing to me. Um... honey I blew through the light, it's my fault, why are you apologizing and why on earth would your dad be angry with you? Her reply was, "you don't know my father" Oh man, as if I didn't feel badly enough for the accident to begin with! My classmate didn't register the red light until we were halfway through the intersection either.
When I got home today there were messages from the insurace company, so her father filed a claim instead of calling me and giving me the option to pay cash. He hasn't even seen the car yet. Sheesh! Hers will probably just buff right out and there are no dents, no chips, no broken lights, nada. So really we were all very fortunate, but I just did NOT need one more sraw on my stack right now.

DH was very down when I got home and didn't take the news well.

At least I'm home now and school is over, so I can crawl under the covers and sleep for two days.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow.. I am so glad you are okay. I have done that myself (blown through a light) it was because my mind was on something else and it sounds like you had a lot to think about. I hate when teachers give tests without warning. I feel like it is totally unethical. I hope everything works out with the insurance and everything. Really though, I am glad you are okay.

Donna said...

Oh my, what a day you had! I'm glad you're ok and not hurt from the accident. As far as that professor goes, let's hope someone gives him the news about exams! That sucks that he didn't know beforehand.

Congrats on finishing another quarter. I have one more week to go and can hardly wait for a break.

Mamabeek said...

Thank you both for your support this week! I'm amazed and relieved that nobody was hurt in teh accident, including the cars, really. I finally spoke with the dad, who turned out to be a man with a very strong british accent living in Texas. That explains why he hadn't seen the car. It turns out his daughter had been broadsided a couple of years ago and was very shaken up by it. Anyway, my hope is that all will turn out well in the end.

Looking forward to a no-school no-worries break and I hope both of you enjoy the same when your turn comes!

Lynn