Egads, what a day! Somebody wish me a happy 50th because I am certain I aged ten years today.
First off my DH was offered the job he was interested in, but the salary was fully 1/3 of what he has been making withOUT a degree for the past decade! This is the only job that's come along that he has been remotely interested in and it requires an engineering degree for crimeny sakes. Only here does this sort of thing happen. They offer less than a living wage for a Computer Engineering position to someone with 15 years of programming experience. Amazing.
Being the well balanced, reasonable person he is he came home and proceeded to bounce of every wall and piece of furniture in a fit of peak. He'll be bruised tomorrow, you can count on it. Living with a depressive isn't alot of fun sometimes. I proceeded to take a two hour chunk out of the middle of my 'down to the wire' last day to work on my final assignments (3 papers and a big hairy manual due tomorrow) to stabilize him. I swear one of these days I'll trump him and shoot myself before he can threaten his own shit. He's been good for years now, promising he'd never do such a thing to the people he loves, but after 20 years I know perfectly well what's in his head and it scares the living hell out of me. Unlike my father, he doesn't use it for attention and the less he hints at it the more frightened I get.
So he'd come out and apologized for dropping a bomb in the middle of my day and I was just getting my head back into a concept paper for my reasearch class when my sister called. She has been doing everything in her power to keep my parents in their own home, despite their stubborn refusal to face reality and hire some inhome care staff or move to a place that offers assisted living. One of the most critical elements is housecleaning; they have to have this or the shit is going to hit the fan (pardonthe pun) and all their autonomy is going to go bye bye very soon. Dad just turned away the Merry Maids crew today after they drove 35 miles in heavy traffic to get to him, because he 'wasn't ready for them.' Uh huh. Well we had to go with someone this far away because he already fired the one local company we had set up.
So my sister blew up and told him neither she nor I would stay in their house again, but would get a hotel whenever we visited unless he kept housekeepers. This is something I declared a year ago, and I have not stayed in their house since, so it was easy enough for me to go along with. Problem is that my father is a little heavy on drama queen traits and he also went off the deep end. You know, it's just not fair to have TWO loved ones threatening the worst on any day, but the last day of finals week? GIMME A BREAK PEOPLE!!!
Screw it, he's 78 years old and he has yet to make good on his threats, so I'm going to bed.
Somehow, miraculously, I got all my papers done and just have that worthless ethics manul left. I don't have to leave until noon tomorrow so I'll face it in the morning after I am packed and have my pets prepped for my absence (my cockatiels are a pain in the ass, so they camp out on the back porch every week when I am at school to minimize personality conflicts). Mind you nothing I wrote was even remotely near my normal standard of work, but I filled the requisite number of pages and at some point you just have to cut your losses, you know?
Gah!
I hope everyone else is having a smoother ride into finals...
Lynn
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh boy, how is it that everything happens and everyone freaks out when we have no time to deal with it?
I bet you're thrilled to get this quarter over with. I have one more week and I know I'm pretty happy that it's about done for now! Congrats on surviving another quarter!
Isn't that how it is!? For some random reason in the universe crazy things go down the week of finals. Hey I am glad you got in the right amount of paper with words on it. I bet you did great. One more down --to go I say! Like Donna said congrats on surviving!!
Post a Comment