There's just a hint of guilt stirred in though, as my Cognative Assessment paper has to be 'firmed up' and turned in by Friday. No biggie as I was essentially done this past Friday, but the prof made a few comments about how it could be improved and I also found out that all 'final papers' and 'final projects' are going in an "APA" file with the school. I'm not sure if this is part of accreditation or if they have decided to help us create the portfolio they've encouraged us to keep for competing well when it's time to obtain those APA predoctoral internships. I suspect it is the former, but whichever it is I damned well want whatever goes in there to be the best I can do!
The university where I did my masters finally managed to get the mysterious 'program ccertification' form filled out for me so my MFT Intern application packet is at last complete and will go out in tomorrow's mail. I'll lose all the hours I've done since I graduated though, because it has been more than 90 days since my degree was conferred. Grr... Oh well, I got the experience and without the personal therapy I've been doing I'd probably be in a padded cell, so all that time and money wasn't wasted, though it could have been better utilized!
Thursday I'm off to visit my mom and do a battery of cognitive tests on her as a school project. There is no way in hell either of my parents would go to someone with the word "psychologist" or therapist in their name, so this is the only way I can think of to get my mom the testing she needs to make her a custom mental rehab package for her dementia. I am officially doing an early neuropsych project on testing and treating dementia. My prof and I together will do the scoring and put the exersises together. I'm looking forward to learning a ton and may well make this a part of my 'package' of specializations when I'm done. I hope it will help my mom. She's seeing a new neurologist, who is supposed to be really good, but I am very dissapointed to see that there is no neuropsychologist on his team. This is so common... the idea that brain imaging is sufficient to tell the whole story. What about function people? Drugs and surgery are only a part of the puzzle when it comes to neuro and synaptogenesis! I get so very weary of the whole seperatist "OUR WAY RULZ!" attitude. Where is all the cross disciplinary, cooperative tech I read about all over the place?
Anyhoo, I am quite certain the trip will be traumatic, seeing as we are still doing emotional battle with my dad and his refusal to face reality and take proper care of my mom, so I am taking along my little Gus to help me out. Gus is my Senegal parrot and besides being good for Mom, since she adores him, he will make a nice travelling companion. He has quite the vocabulary and keeps up a running patter, "What's THAT?? Oh dear, big truck! C'mere and step up. Did you hear me? I said come over here RIGHT NOW. Gimme a kiss -big smooch sound- THANK YOU!!! What does the cat say? Meeee Owwww. Don't kiss the cat. STIIIIINKY cat. Why are you screaming? I'm pretty. Pretty pretty pretty STINKY bird! Knock knock, treat time!" and so forth and so on ad nauseum. LOL!
My sister will be there too, and we are going to stay together somewhere; either at her friends' house or in a hotel. In a way I'm glad my dad is being difficult about the house cleaners because it means we have an excuse to get away every night and regroup.
So next week is really the beginning of my break, but still and all it's nice not to have the old 'what am I not doing that I should be' feeling all the time.
Can't wait till all the rest of you are out and I can read about fun break activities for a little while. Even doing nothing is such a lovely thing when you're in school, isn't it?
4 comments:
A novel?? What's that???
I love the bird conversation! Thanks for the laugh, and I hope you have a wonderful break. I'm probably not doing a thing during mine, except to do doctor's appointments that I've been putting off. DH can't get any time off at this point in the year because they are getting close to the fiscal close for the year, so we probably won't go anywhere. I was thinking of going up your way to visit the darling daughter, but I don't know since she'll be working.
Oh, he's beautiful! Now you realise I will have to go back through your archives looking for photos of the others...
Oh dear Stylegeek... you won't find any here. I used to have a big site full of pictures but we took down our server (used to offer ISP services and I did websites) so it's all gone. I do have an Opera photo album though. Shall simply have to make a birdy post like your parrot one for this site and keep adding to it over time. I did wildlife rehab for several years and accumuated all sorts of interesting birdy images at the expense of my unfortunate patients.
I happen to be on spring break so that sounds like a fun project to play at!
Oh sorry, here we are, the URL for my boids on Opera.
Mamabeek's Boids
Post a Comment