Well better this week. Weird, but better. P gave me rave reviews on Monday and Tuesday and then in supervision proceeded to ask me what my problem had been. See? All better! Then he went off on vacation for the rest of the week leaving me with my mouth hanging open and feeling very much as if there is another steel toed boot up there somewhere waiting to drop.
But then I had supervision with a different supervisor and she flipping ROCKS!!! Stuff I have been going around in a fog about with P suddenly snapped into focus with B and I felt like I made a quantum leap in my therapy in just a single day! I made a couple of transcripts for her, we went through them with her explaining exactly how the therapy model I'm supposed to be learning (dynamic, which is insane for a forensic setting, but that's a tale for another day) could be applied in a blow by blow fashion. Then I had another patient immediately after that, tried out the new concepts, and came back for another hour with her. The next day we had live supervision with my unfortunate fellow intern as the victim, and it all got clearer still. Funny how learning can go along at an even pace and then LEAP ahead in a single jolt like this! Now I'm sure I'll move along more sedately, practicing practicing practicing what I learned this week.
My DCT also spent some time with me, working on scheduling. After I explained some of the expectations that P had for me, it was quite clear she had no idea what he'd been asking of me. She was at a loss for words and just said "I don't know why that should be" every time I explained that what she was telling me about my rotation duties was NOT what P was telling me. It turns out that we will change primary supervisors at the halfway mark for sure, and that this is something new this year. They emphasized that they're "all about fit here" so obviously someone did NOT fit with someone else in the past, and I am quite clearly not fitting with P in the present, so they are going ahead with their plan. The rough thing was that she also informed me that rather than getting better after this, my rotation is going to get even heavier, workload wise. Akk!!! So as she moved 2 hours of weekly intakes off my calender she move 5 hours of groups and additional supervision onto it. And that's not counting my assessments, which are finally underway and take up a boatload of time. Akk!!! But then one group is with B, so I'm stoked about that, and the other group is DBT, which I'm fairly versed in. Now if I can just maintain in my other stuff with P...
AR's inlaws are on their way now from the upper reaches of the planet, so we've been cleaning house like mad. I'm thinking a backhoe might really be what we need. Sigh... It will be a nice change of pace to have them though, even if the timing is terrible. LOL!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
A dynamic approach in the forensic population....weird. I can understand conceptualizing from a dynamic perspective, but conducting therapy?
Well I can at least accept that our patients are very carefully screened and not probably representative of the population as a whole. Existential work with non-psychopathic lifers is probably fine with this venue. I'm dubious tho...
Post a Comment