Monday, October 26, 2009
Happy for Small Blessings
I get along well with my fellow intern. That may seem a small thing, but when you have to share an office in as hectic a place as we work, getting along well is critical! So that's a nice thing in general, but we had it brought home to us in spades this past week when we learned that all four of the interns at a neighboring site are being cited for ethical violations toward each other. Just got too lax and verbal horseplay turned ugly. Someone finked on someone else and next thing you know EVERYONE was in the soup! What a horrible mess to find yourself in when you're trying to shine your brightest... as we all are at the internship stage. Being professional is REALLY IMPORTANT, people!!! I wonder how big a deal this will turn out to be for them as they go forward?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I hope it's not a long lasting issue for those other interns. I have to wonder though...what age group are those interns in?!? I've noticed a dramatic difference in the behavior of the students in my lower division Biology class (don't ask why I am in that class!), vs. the behavior of the students in my Sociology Methods class (all seniors). The differences are pretty clearly due to maturity...I imagine that holds true in grad school as well.
All straight through BS to PsyD or PhD, so quite young. But then so is my fellow intern and she's very professional, so I suppose it's an individual thing. They work in a very remote, isolated site and they are all from different places in the country... nobody local. I imagine that could foster a quick, superficial camaraderie that might lead to this kind of thing.
Hmm... I realized that BS to doctoral doesn't necessarily mean young, so should say straight through High School to BS to doctoral to be more clear. I think that can cause a sort of delayed development sometimes when people don't ever really get out in the working world separately from school.
Yikes. Internship is such a big step towards getting licensed....I'd go out of my way to be careful. My hospital is strict about privacy. We have to keep everything locked in our locked offices, absolutely no pt info in our e-mails, VM, etc.
Post a Comment