Friday, September 18, 2009

SOOOO glad for Week's End

Holy moly, what a week! I got completely buried this week, and on top of that, got sideways with my primary supervisor - I'll call him P - and had a couple of truly miserable days as a result. I have come to the conclusion that an uneasy truce with P is about as good as it's going to get. We have very different viewpoints on many things, and it is very important to P that I follow his instructions to the letter. Having my own style is NOT allowed! Sigh... I spent 18 months in a practicum with a passive aggressive supervisor last year and now it appears I'm going to spend a year with a different version of same.

I love the clinical work, though... just LOVE my clients! Ok, well some of them aren't really that lovable, actually, but I love the challenges they pose and the fascinating views of the world I glimpse through them. Some are amusing, some shocking and some just downright surreal, but there is never a dull moment. If I didn't have to schedule, document in triplicate and jump through ten thousand bureaucratic hoops each day I'd be in heaven! Oh yes, and fend off obliteration of self-as-I-know-her by P. That's kind of a drag.

Fellow intern and I - let's call her A - are slowly working out how to have our own space and our own schedules while sharing a tiny office. This wouldn't be a big deal if we didn't have to see patients in there to the tune of 30+ hours per week (that's in 4 days since we have trainings on Fridays) such that one or the other of us is always displaced. Mondays are no big deal because lots of people work four, ten hour days so take Mon or Fri off, but the rest of the week there are packs of predatory psychologists roaming the halls waiting to pounce on the first empty desk they see. It behooves one not to spend too long in the loo or one's desk may acquire a squatter! Yeah... you could say the prison is a bit short on space for staff.

AR's game is going gangbusters. He and his partner signed on with a publisher this week and they are fronting him money, so we can stop raiding our savings for half the month's expenses for awhile! They were set to release the game this week, but ran into a persnickety bug, so now Sept 30th is the goal date. We are trying not to get too worked up about it, but this may go very VERY big! Of course it may not; thus the reservations. Sure would be nice not to be freaked out about money and lack thereof all the time.

2 comments:

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

My supervisors are generally great to work with, though one I tend to rub the wrong way sometimes. I just try and limit my contact with them. We'll see how it goes because I have some req. things that I can't avoid.

Di Di said...

I'm sorry you're dealing with a passive aggressive supervisor... having once had a passive aggressive advisor I feel your pain. :( But that's so cool about AR's game! I hope it's a big hit. It must be really fun and challenging to work on something like that... I can't imagine all the programing that goes into games these days.