Thursday, September 24, 2009

Powering Through

Crimeny what a flipping WEEK! The thing with P got worse by far. Every Monday and Tuesday suck, then Wed is marginal and Thursday it's all better. I feel like I'm trapped in a cycle of violence! Honeymoon phase tonight... Gah. Things got bad enough the training director has stepped in and is 'adjusting' my supervision such that I don't go down in flames before the halfway mark on my first assessment. I've come to learn that I'm not the first intern to get sideways with P. Right at the beginning of the internship the training director said they were thinking about switching supervisors half way through the year, though they had never done that before. I'm beginning to understand why.

The actual clinical work is fantastic and I love it, but the paperwork and prison protocol is a nightmare and P is a micromanaging OCPD sorta person. "You told the patient he was to fill out this form when you should have said 'sign' the form" or "No, it's not team treatment it's treatment team" or even "You said case worker and it should have been case manager." These sorts of things are absolutely equal priority with whether or not my diagnosis is right and not having them absolutely perfect brings warnings of not being forensic material. JEEZE!!! I'm flipping new and P was gone for three weeks out of the first month of my rotation, so I lost all that coaching, assuming that it would have happened had P been here. Not sure it would. P's idea of supervision is to throw you in the deep end and then criticize you on a personal level when you flounder.

Tomorrow I'm off to didactics, which involves going to a juvenile court for the morning in another city. Should be fun, but after the 2 hour drive home I'm going to work for a few more hours to get caught up. Hopefully that will help break the ghastly Mon-Tue hell cycle from happening next week.

1 comment:

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Wow....that stinks. Hearing stories like this make me appreciate my supervisors, while not perfect....so far so good.