Well the news is in, my professor did lose her house in the fire. When she was finally able to go back she found the houses on either side of hers still standing, but nothing was left of he home but the chimney. She escaped with only the clothes on her back and her two cats.
Of my friends and acquaintances in the area, she is the only one I know personally who lost a home. That may change when I go to work this Friday, if any of the evacuees whose kids I notified last Friday, lost their houses.
It always amazes and gratifies me to see people rally around to help. The entire student body is taking up a collection for our prof and when she has a place to receive it (she's living in a motel for now) we'll have stuff delivered so she doesn't have to shop and work her two jobs (130 miles apart)at the same time.
Where there is a tragedy there is nearly always a silver lining, I find. In this case my teacher was struggling to make he house payments and afraid to quit a distant but well paying job for fear of losing her house. So much for THAT struggle! I'm hoping that if she had fire insurance she may come out of this ok. She bought her house many years ago before the area got so pricey, so with the precipitous drop in housing prices she may be able to get into something decent in a short time. It won't be the home she struggled to buy and raised he three kids in as a single mom, with all the memories and precious things she's lost, but perhaps she won't be homeless for too long. Not everyone is so lucky.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That's terrible... I think of you whenever I see the fire on the news. She must be glad that she has her cats, though, and that she is safe. still it is a huge huge loss.
And it's really great to hear that the students are helping.
I'm so sorry to hear this. Although I am glad that she's safe and was able to get her cats out. I hope she's able to find a new home soon.
How sad. I feel so badly for everyone that lost their homes this fire season. It's been just terrible for so many people.
Donna
Post a Comment