Wednesday, August 06, 2008

In the Home Stretch

Two days to go and I'm sooo close now! Just three parts left on a 7 part question and I'll be finished with my comps. Of course they are the most problematic three questions for me, which is why I left them for last. Much as I hate all day intensives, in many ways I wish this had been that sort of test. For my masters comps I sat in front of a computer terminal for 6 hours in a room with a bunch of other students and no references except my wee brain. Now I have access to all sorts of info, so that means I have to CITE all that shit along the way, instead of just saying what I've learned. In a sense this test isn't measuring what I've learned, but rather my ability to go back and look up what I SHOULD have learned. LOL! The history question was mostly that way for me. I know the generalities, but to give names and dates and specific experiments I had to go to the book. I considered just writing what I (think I) know and not citing at all, but then figured that 1)that makes for weaker answers, and 2) because this is a take home I suspect they are wanting us to be precise.

And all this for pass or fail, so I'll never know for sure if I could have just winged it...

Lord I'm tired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd really rather have the comps like you're doing now instead of the "sit in front of the computer and hope your brain remembers everything" type of test. It's far less stressful to me when I have all the information right there instead of trying to remember everything!

Congrats on getting it all done and I hope you pass with flying colors :)

Donna

Mamabeek said...

Well not quite done yet, Donna. But thanks for the good thoughts!

Yeah, I'm bitching but I'd probably be alongside didi complaining even more fervently if it were the other way around. I guess there's just really no up-side to comprehensive exams in general, eh?