Friday, April 18, 2008

A Day of Discovery

Today I discovered:

1) If you put a 1-800 in front of the fax number for faxing a Suspected Child Abuse Report in my county the fax will go to Gill T. and his son Mike, two delightful gentlemen who own a mercantile store in Tennessee. Guess who did that? They called and told me that this has happened many times, but nobody has ever called them back about it. They tear up the reports and throw them away.

2) Tomorrow is my mother-in-law's birthday (discovered an hour ago - it's 10:30 PM now)

3) The above means that TODAY was the 24th anniversary of AR' and my first date, AND our 5th wedding anniversary ANNND my parent's 55th anniversary!!!

4) Homeless people bathe in the sink of the bathroom at the gas station where I fill up (and empty out) before I make my long drive home every Friday... and they take FOREVER in there!!

5) I have a WONDERFUL supervisor! As exemplified by this e-mail response to #1:

OMG!!!! Sent to TENNESSEE????? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Oh, that is a good one!
I think you will be okay on the submission. You called, that was most important.
Tennessee?????????
You'll be okay. Take it easy down there, see you on Tuesday.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol I like your discoveries. That is so weird about the fax. What a random place.. Tennessee..

Anonymous said...

You and AR have known each other for that long and still got married? Wow :)

Donna

Mamabeek said...

Lived together happily for 16 1/2 years first. The wedding was a 50th wedding anniversary gift to my parents; we had a double ceremony. My mother was very ill at the time and had brain surgery a few days beforehand. I was ambivalent about doing it, as I am not a big fan of the institution and felt we a more sound marriage as we were than the bulk of married people I know.

Didn't make much difference really, but some of the things I feared have come true. For example we recently applied for new health insurance and when we filled out the paperwork we put my name down as the primary. When I went to print temporary cards for us to use I wasn't able to make the online program work. Why? Well because AR was listed as the primary, of course. He's the MAN and MEN are always the head of the household, no matter what anyone writes on a form.

Makes me want to vomit.

Then a doctor I went to see asked me what name my chart was under now. When I gave her the same name I've used all my life she rolled her eyes and said, "Oh, so you're one of THOSE!"

Marriage has a very important meaning to me, but my definition doesn't seem to meld with that of the dominant culture. Sigh.