Friday, March 14, 2008

There and Not

Sigh... well I'm done for the quarter... NOT! Officially joining DiDi and everyone else who has protested professors who ignore academic calenders and just plow right on past the last week. I have two in that boat this time around, so I now have two take home finals to do this coming week. And this is KINDNESS mind you, because after screwing up and not giving us what we needed to complete the work in the time alloted, these instructors have been soft-hearted enough to give us another two weeks to complete our newly adjusted assignments. FUCK THAT!!!

I wanted to do them this weekend, but AR wants to go hiking tomorrow, I work Sunday, practicum Monday and Tuesday and then I am working again Wed and probably Thursday. There's no way I'll rain on AR's parade; I can't even remember the last time we went anywhere together, that's how much my school has overshadowed our marriage. =( So maybe next weekend... GAH!!!

On a happier note, the Chair of the MFT program at my university has asked me if I want to teach some masters classes. WAHOO!!! I had asked around about the possibility, but every time I stopped by her office she was out, and I thought she'd be the prof for our 'teaching psychology' class next term, so figured I'd ask her then. Turns out she's NOT teaching it, but she heard from several people that I was interested and that I was tutoring and very well liked, so she just handed me a list of classes and told me to check which ones I might like to teach! Seems the ones I'm most interested in are exactly the ones she is having trouble finding good instructors for. How perfect is that? I guess some of the MA people are not so on fire about testing and assessment since they don't envision themselves doing much of it. We tentatively agreed that I would start with the clinical skills course, which is a testing overview, next winter. How the f... I am going to squeeze that into my every expanding schedule I don't know, but I will. There is no WAY I am going to pass up the opportunity to work as a PAID adjunct professor in a masters level program when it falls in my lap.

Jeeoy!!

6 comments:

Di Di said...

Congrats on the masters classes!

And yeah, what is with the blatant disregard for the academic calendar?? At some point they just need to accept the limitations of the schedule. Maybe they think grad students shouldn't be able to pass a course in their pet topic without reading 15 weeks worth of reading, but we have 9 weeks so fucking deal!

It's especially offensive this quarter when everyone knows that second year theses are due at the end of the quarter.

PG said...

Teaching a masters class sounds like a great opportunity. Will that be in addition to everything you are doing now?

Mamabeek said...

I agree di di, it's bullshit. Students are penalized for missing deadlines, so why are professors modeling a different set of standards? Perhaps we should get more units for more work? Ah, but then they'd want to charge for the 'privilege' too...

Yes psychgrad, the teaching will be on top of everything else, so it's a two edged sword. Both the dept chair and a friend of mine who taught this course last year offered to give me their syllabi, so I'm hoping that I can put together a course plan over the summer and minimize my overhead time. You know, I'm not much worried about putting this together and teaching, what makes me nervous is doing the evaluations (grading - our university does not give traditional grades). I'm sure I'll be polling everyone in sight for information and advice when the time comes.

Anonymous said...

Yay! You're done for a while!

I hate professors that don't pay attention to the calendar. I had one that was supposed to give us an exam with only a couple essays on it, but he decided to make the whole thing essay. Since it was about 10 or 11 questions, there was no way we could finish it in the alloted time. As a result, we had to take home the rest and finish it during the Thanksgiving break! Wah, not fair!

Congrats on being asked to teach! That is soo awesome and I am soo jealous :)

Donna

Mamabeek said...

I wish, Donna... this Rorschach paper is going on and on and ON! I'm at 12 pages and still have to do the case formulation before I can send it off. Was up until 2:30 am this morning and here it is past midnight tonight and I'm still working. There are a few more questions to answer on my neruopsych final too, but they will be busywork, not mind bending like this, so at least it's doable. But I have to work every moment right up to when I turn them in, so the only time available is what I trade for sleep.

Poor AR is feeling mightily neglected after waiting and waiting for this 'break.' I am tired to the bone. =(

And just think... you are DONE done! WOW!!!

Medicoglia, RN said...

Professors taht ignore the calendar are a pet-peeve of mine! It happens on the undergrad level too. Last semester, in Anatomy, we had the last midterm immediately before the final (as in the same day, 2 hours before). Not only was the fact that it was FINALS week ignored, but the fact that students have other classes with finals was also ignored! I had to make arraing,ents to take a Spanish final at another time because I had to have access to the anatomy lab for the midterm!