So this take-home final exam for my projective testing class only took me 15-20 hours, en toto, starting two weeks ago, and THREE all nighters starting this past Sunday. Gah!
I can say definitively that I will NOT be giving Rorschachs on a regular basis. The test is a fucking nightmare to score and interpret. I'll give it this, it's pretty accurate for the subject I assessed, but it's just not worth the agony.
And then, of course, there were the last four items to polish off on the Neuropsych exam, as well. Done and sent ten minutes ago.
I am SO looking forward to coming home from work tomorrow and going straight to bed.
**************************************************************************************
Oh, and as an addendum, I didn't end up administering a Rorschach to the 6 year old today after all. It was moot because he refused to cooperate with almost all of the projective testing we tried. Little children, particularly those along the autism spectrum, are NOT my forte! My hat is off to the parents for making it six years without losing their sanity or brutalizing their child. I was on the brink of both after just fifteen minutes. Jeeze... give me a little adolescent murderer or a rapist any day but save me from uncooperative innocents! ;p
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am so sorry. Just the thought of a take-home exam makes me want to projectile vomit. I despised the things. My law profs always predicted their take-homes could be answered in the same amount of time as a traditional exam (3 hours). Never. They always took an entire day. However, we couldn't procrastinate - we had to "check out" the exam for 24 hours and they had to absolutely be checked back in within the 24 hours.
I feel the same way about people with personality disorders! Give me a schizophrenic patient any day - I'd much rather have that than someone with a personality disorder.
Congrats on finally finishing the projective exam. Geez, what a job that was! I think the Rorschach is fascinating, but it really is a nightmare to figure everything out - it just takes too long. Too bad the 6-year-old refused the test. That could have been very interesting.
Have a wonderful break and get lots of sleep :)
Donna
P.S. I've sent emails to you - I hope you get those.
Whups! Thanks Donna, I forget to check this e-mail regularly. I'll go look now.
We are going to try again to finish the Robert's with the boy. I think our diagnosis is going to be autism. Boy that's a tough one to parse out. Tourette's symptoms and PDD symptoms and all kinds of indecipherable stuff going on. Definitely a specialty, but when you utilize a public agency you don't always get access to specialists, so us little interns (and our overtaxed supervisors) just have to sweat over the books as best we can!
Tam, I think this sort of shit (insanely difficult take home exams) as a sort of equivalent to how gangs jump you in. Sometimes I think it would be nicer just to go shoot someone, or maybe get beaten up or gang raped. LOL! (pardon my sick humor... it's a measure of both my stress levels and my work circumstances)
Post a Comment