Friday, August 24, 2007

If you live long enough...

You see some amazingly stupid shit. Today, for example, I learned about chewing Fentanyl narcotic patches. Fentanyl patches are used primarily for post surgical or heavy duty chronic pain patients. It is an opioid 100 times more potent than morphine. Apparently drug dealers cut them up into strips and sell them by the inch and their buyers then CHEW the strips! Unfortunately for the users, this product is designed to deliver X quantity of medication over a protracted period of time and ingesting even a small portion of the patch is likely to cause an overdose. And a note to mental health workers: an overdose can look an awful lot like a panic attack if you don't know your client has been gnawing patches.

Actually, it appears that one can overdose fairly easily even when using it as prescribed:
Death by Patch

Article on the abuse issue
Smoke, Inject or Chew... Which Would YOU Choose?

Note, the above website does NOT mention ingesting the patch anywhere in its list of warnings. Can't imagine why... I mean I know I'd want to snaffle one up the moment I got the box open. Bet they're yummy!

1 comment:

Tery Lynne said...

It is amazing what people will do or use to get a fix...or whatever it is they need to numb their pain or whatever.

Its scary...that is for sure. Love your information you present on your bog - its always interesting :)