Wednesday, May 04, 2011

WHERE have I been?

Wow... so much has happened, and then again, not so much after all. Facebook has taken over and I find I just don't feel the need to come here much. Probably I will delete this site in time, but for now I'll update and poke around to see what everyone else is doing!

I finished my internship and am awaiting the last edits on my dissertation. Defense date is set and graduation is the second week in June. W00T!!

I've been teaching in the masters program at my school, and added a Family Therapy class to my usual Psychological Assessment, so I'm managing to expand my repertoire a touch. I've been talked up about online classes, so am hoping that will fly. the choices are all things I have not taught before, so it would be fabulous to get one or two of those under my belt. 25% of postdoctoral licensure hours can come from teaching and research, thus I'm delighted to have this opportunity, since online teaching can be done from anywhere, so won't interfere with whatever job I might get.

I've applied with the state prison system at a couple of sites and a few forensic psychiatric hospitals as well. The state is having a hiring freeze at the moment, so who knows if those will go anywhere... I have very mixed emotions about going back to that work anyway, but the skills set I could acquire and the fabulous pay are attractive, so I went ahead and put my name in.

Next up I begin calling contacts and seeing if I can get into a private practice situation locally. I have zero desire to go back through the APPIC process, so that will be an absolute last resort.

So all is well, I'm on track again, though not for post docs, but at this point I'm just biding my time and not worrying about how fast the mile markers go by. I'm very fortunate in that I don't have massive amounts in loans, so whatever will be will be, WHEN it will be!

Hope all my readers (or those who used to read, when I wrote) are well and happy!!

3 comments:

Battle Weary said...

I'm glad to see you have a new post! I really hope you don't give up on blogging. So many people are giving up on it and I find it frustrating. For me, blogging, however infrequently, is a way to say so much more than I possibly could on facebook. I feel like I have "anonymous friends" that I can turn to for much more "real" support than those people on my friend list that know me in "real life", but don't really know me at all! I have no idea if that will make any sense to anyone other than me, but maybe it will!

Sera

JaneB said...

Hello! Glad to see you have a new post up, and I'd be sad to see you disappear completely! What Battle Weary says makes a lot of sense to me!

JaneB said...

Also hoping you don't give up on blogging... I don't use facebook to keep up with virtual people at all, and I enjoyed your posts...