Monday, November 23, 2009

Long Time No Post

It's been a crazy month since I posted last! My situation at the internship got better, then got resoundingly worse and is now on the upswing again. Be still my churning tummy! The relationship with my supervisor, which I thought was getting better, was not, and I actually got called on the carpet and told my performance was too inconsistent. My school was informed and I was given a list of things to do "error free" last week. Many of the things he wanted were very subjective and not generalizable, so last week was like shooting at a set of moving targets. His sensitivity to errors for that week was at the level of picking nits off the backs of other nits... BUT, I got through. It was particularly painful because the other intern is not being held to anything like this kind of standard. I wonder how that will go when she has this same supervisor in the summer?

The support from my school was resounding and they were unanimously baffled that the person my supervisor was describing seemed to bear no resemblance to me. It turns out my dissertation chair knows my supervisor well and said that once he heard the name he knew what the problem was immediately. But for all that I am still grinding away and my clinical work is improving. The whole psychodynamic thang is still not at all my style, but at least I have some concept what the heck they want from me now. Even the psychological testing is done through this lens, so I'm having to put in huge amounts of time even in my strongest areas. For those of you who are neurophsych oriented, imagine using an ego functions model to interpret your data...

My other half is doing fabulously in his work though, so it's nice to come home to him each night bubbling over with excitement about his day. I'm so delighted for him... this project he just finished is his life's dream; something he's dreamt of doing since he was 12 years old. It looks like it is going to pay really well, too, so that means I can be choosier about my post doc.

Just one lousy day left in the work week and I am off on vacation until next Monday. I have to work on a report and on my dissertation, but I'll get in at least a couple of R&R days. Here's hoping everyone is doing well. I haven't read anywhere for ages and ages....

1 comment:

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Ego functions....and neuro assessments...uhm, ouch. I am really thankful for my supervisors.