Prison is intense, overwhelming, and sometimes boring. Had some amazing clinical experiences even though I was only observing. Heavy duty AXIS I stuff as well as heavy duty AXIS II stuff. Often in combination.
I am SOOOO going to regret saying to my supervisor that psychopathy was one of my particular interests. Now I will have at least one individual on my long term therapy caseload who has this diagnosis. I am looking forward to possibly working with a transgendered inmate-patient though. I hope the timing is right for that since I opted for the DBT group instead of the TG group. Much as I think the DBT experience is more pertinent to my short term goals, the TG process group looks so damned rich!!!
Today was 7 hours of suicide assessment/prevention training videos. All in all I think there was maybe 15 minutes of actual new material (are there drugs to treat suicide?) and the rest was tedious beyond belief. I ate a whole cup of chocolate covered espresso beans and still dozed of. I sure as hell hope the entire week of In Service Training at the end of the month is more engaging.
I've been shopping every night after work for various things to attach all the required hardware to myself. ID, personal alarm (PAD), beeper, keys, whistle and chits. All have to be on my person at all times and the PAD has to be swapped out for different versions depending on where I go in the facility so I'm constantly whipping out ID and trading for chits. Left the damned thing in the bathroom the other day and got reprimanded. Sigh. If only they weren't actually ancient garage door openers converted into alarms by some enterprising inmate years ago. NO electronic device is that big in this day and age, and that includes garage door openers!!! We aren't allowed to even set down our keys on our desks or guards are all over us. They look through the windows and bang if they see keys, PADs or beepers anywhere but attached to us. It's important but annoying as all hell!
Other Intern and I are getting along ok. I seriously wonder if she has an eating disorder though. The girl eats almost nothing at all. Lunch = one cup of yogurt or one apple, or one piece of string cheese. No breakfast and possibly half a snack bar outside of lunch. Either she eats normal suppers or she must binge because she isn't skeletal and I flat don't believe anyone could subsist on that few calories. I eat a sandwich and a tangerine and feel like I'm gorging next to her. Sheesh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I remember one of the teachers at the elementary school I used to work for would have those tuna snack packs and an apple for lunch every day. I felt hungry just looking at her.
Your site sounds intimidating yet exciting at the same time. Hopefully, I'll feel the same way when I start practicum.
I went from a very strict place to a really relaxed environment....SOOO much easier than going the other way.
Wow, sounds intense. Then again it is prison. :)
Any chance your fellow intern could have had lap band surgery? I have an acquaintance who had that surgery and that's how she has to eat.
I know a good friend of hers from elementary school who says she's always been slim and beautiful, so I'm guessing the lap band thing is unlikely. She also wears clothes that are just on the edge of acceptable and has been told twice now that she needs to change them because when she bends over her clothes gap very provocatively. She is LIVID that she's been told this, even though it was explained it's about prison, not about her clothes in general; they'd be fine in any other work setting, but having your thong show when you bend over and being able to see flashes of your leopard spotted bra when there are inmates working all around you (they take out the trash, deliver charts and so forth) is really dangerous. The majority of these men are in for crimes against women and all those on our quad are mentally ill. They have notoriously poor impulse control.. I definitely thing there is a body image problem happening here...
Post a Comment