Sunday, August 02, 2009

Nervous...

Tomorrow is the big day... I'm off to prison! Will they confiscate my plastic fork? Stay tuned for the next episode of "Life Inside the Big House" No wait, I think that title is taken. Shoot!

Orientation was boring as all get out and consisted mostly of being read all the crap in the packets we were given. They honored all the outgoing interns, so next year when I'm one of them it will be more fun. It was interesting to see some of the people I interviewed with at other sites who had also gotten spots with the consortium. There is one big umbrella organization consisting of four member consortia in various parts of the state. I think there are 33 forensic sites represented altogether. Our consortium consists of two prisons,a mental hospital and a behavioral health center for children, so we'll be moving around to each others' sites on Fridays for didactics. I'm looking forward to that since it will broaden the intern group and offer a bit more camaraderie that way. My fellow intern seems very nice, but we're quite different people, so it will be interesting to see how we get along.

I know who my primary supervisor is, but wasn't told which rotation I'd begin with, so I'm not sure what I'll be doing yet. This week will be mostly orientation and training though. Should be quite the experience going from 100-140 kids at Juvie to 7000 inmates at this prison!!!

4 comments:

~T~ said...

Ugh, I detest orientation in any form! Good luck today and I'm 100% sure you'll have a grand internship. The transition from juveniles to adults will be interesting (although most of the adults spent time in juvenile so you have some common ground right off the bat).

Anonymous said...

Good luck and be safe!

Donna

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

My orientation was 2 weeks, and now I'm orienting at rotations. It'll never end!

So how is it going?

*taps foot*

Mamabeek said...

Sorry TR, I'm so tired at the end of the day I can't put fingers to keypad to talk about it. Today was fucking AMAZING!!! Sat in on lots of clinical stuff and had a more intimate tour of the place. Acute mental illness out the ying yang, prison rape, malingering, a knuckle dragging CO or two (most are not)... just a little bit of everything I imagined it might be and then some!