"So why is it I want a Blog?" I ask myself. Sharing anecdotes and pictures of my adorable pets and my spectacular surrounds? Ok, yeah, that's nicer than posting same in three different formats to three different venues: chats, e-mail and greeting cards. Still and all, that can't be the whole thing. I have this bitchin' new career, but I can't talk about the bulk of my work in any detail because it's confidential. Writers boards are more apporpirate for the short stories to which I'm prone, and I can't gripe about my crazy relatives if I invite them to my blog... so I ask you, what's left? And who the hell are YOU I'm asking, anyway?
I'm trying to get a hook on this new culture of instantaneous interconnectedness. As the partner of a bonafide computer geek and a fairly high geekette rating myself, I used to pride myself on being way ahead in the cyberspace game. My mate was bouncing from one server to the next on strung together BBS sites before the Internet was a thang, and I surfed vicariously through the Gulf War, hearing amazing inside info direct from Bagdad and so forth (fascinating how it differed from the mainstream news!). I had my very own website before most of my friends and family were even getting around the digital cosmos, had my own chat and was a Webmistress, designing webpages professionally. I even had an ICQ number (took a whole college course on ICQ as a matter of fact!) and had free conversations on a webphone with my international friends... too sci fi for words!
Next thing I knew I was knocked ass over teacup by a stampeding mass of adolescents as they burst free from their AOL IMming nest boxes and emerged as full fledged, cellphone and ipod wielding cyberfolks. Damn! How did that happen? So here I am floundering in the backwaters of netdom, having resisted blogging simply because everyone was doing it and I didn't want to be so mainstream. But what's it all about, really? Are we looking for kindrid spirits, a grandstand, a mirror... what?
Well I'll cruise around and try it and see what happens. Who can say?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment