Thursday, April 12, 2007

Oh my aching back...

Ok, so is this manual scoring of the MMPI like a Psychologist initiation ritual? What a miserable way to spend three hours of my life! One hour to administer the test, three hours to score it and at least another hour to interpret. Lessee, at an optomistic $120/hour, billed only for the hour the client actually sat his or her ass in the chair, that gives me... $24/hour. Ok well it beats working for FREE like I am now, but somehow I don't think this will happen again. $67 for computer scoring (if we log through our prof's account) so $120-$67= $53. Better, but methinks I'd better find wealthy clientelle if I ever intend to pay off my loans. Sigh.

What DO most psychometricians charge for this test?

The interp this week will be great fun, since the subject was moi. Just flat impossible to see the forest for the trees today though. Ungh.

Professor Loop was awesome today, BTW. He rocks in a clincal setting!

The whole univerasal oneness thing didn't make much of an appearance at all, except he asked me to talk a little about mirror neurons b/c he'd heard me talking to a classmate in the hallway about them. From my explanation he went on to declare that just thinking thoughts about a person halfway across the country could have a resonant/mirroring effect. Um... ok. The studies thus far show that the primary effect drops off dramatically when the participants are more than 6 feet apart...

Anyway, one of my classamates gave a kick ass presentation and then did an equally outstanding role play and the student exchange was fantastic. Dr. Loop made great comments and reinstated my respect for him. I guess alternative world views might be allowed after all. =p

4 comments:

Donna said...

The MMPI does take a while to interpret, doesn't it? Have you done a Rorschach yet? I think that one takes the longest of all.

Anonymous said...

I can't WAIT to get to do all this stuff!! I am so bummed I still have to wait a whole freakin year to start! Very cool stuff. :)

Mamabeek said...

The Rorschach is next term, so in the fall for me. I was a 'patient' for a student in the year ahead of me though, and he's been telling me about it. He said he didn't even do a full interpretation and it took forever. Should hear about that next week, as a matter of fact! Just giving it seemed like a bunch of work though, as you have to write down everything the person says, verbatim, no matter how many responses they give, right? One of my profs in the masters program told me he'd had clients who nearly made him scream, "Will you STOP already???"

I love all the psychometrics I've been exposed to so far... that's my favorite part of the program. Just had a physcial and got medical clearance to start doing this for real in my practicum. Yippee!!!

Hang in there s-girl... you'll make it yet. I look forward to comparing notes with you next year. =)

Donna said...

Hey, Lynn, how's it going? I hope things are good with you :)